We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

complete study on the "laws of diminishing returns"

columbus, ohio
2 posts
Save Topic
complete study on the "laws of diminishing returns"

after twenty years my wife and i returned to find that gatlinburg has turned into a commercial mess! lost is the service, the charm and most importantly its sole. period! i will never go back, and i will tell the thousands of people that i will come into contact with the same.

can we say catskill n.y. it too was really popular at one time.

if this was a product(meaning gatlinburg) it would be at its peak...nowhere, to go but down!

sorry gatlinburg you have seen you best days!

WV
Level Contributor
236 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: complete study on the "laws of diminishing returns"

I have been going to Gatlinburg for 40 years and my wife and I still "honeymoon" there at least once a year and love it.

If you cannot enjoy a trip to Gatlinburg with your wife, I would guess it is not Gatlinburg that is the problem.

I think with your attitude it is best you do look elsewhere for a vacation spot and let us that enjoy Gatlinburg continue to do so.

Jonesborough, TN
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: complete study on the "laws of diminishing returns"

A little harsh on the rebuttal, lovegb... I have to admit, socroties does have a point. (Although, I think socroties was a little harsh in his wording, as well.) I first went to Gatlinburg over 30 years ago and it has changed a tremendous amount! I enjoyed going to Gatlinburg in November, but I have to admit that if I had a choice, I'd take the Gatlinburg of old! It was so much more laid back and crowds were almost non-existent much of the time. I remember visitng Gatlinburg in January in the mid 70's and if my memory serves correctly, we saw maybe a total of four or six other people all day. Even in the summer, you could actually get around IN A CAR easily. Now, it is a parking lot even in the winter.

So it all boils down to what you want out of a vacation. I enjoy Gatlinburg and want to go back. But if it is for a romantic weekend, I will go somewhere else. Our trip in November was all about coming full circle - celebrating our 25th anniversary where we had honeymooned...

WV
Level Contributor
236 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: complete study on the "laws of diminishing returns"

No one has seen Gatlinburg change more than I, and yes I don't like a lot of the "touristy" items either, but we must realize that it is a "Tourist" town and if there was still only a few people there as you discribe now as it was then...it would not have survived thru out the years.

I know this is a site for opinions, But to totally trash it as socroties did would scare a new visitor from going....and that would be wrong. Gatlinburg still has a lot to offer. The millions of people that visit each year must like something about it !

Socroties is in the minority and I will lean toward the majority every time.

Love Gatlinburg or Hate it, but don't make statements that would keep a newbie from finding out for them selves.

Somewhere on Earth...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: complete study on the "laws of diminishing returns"

Socroties sounds like you expected time to stand still for the last 20 years. Sorry, but it can't happen. Sure things have changed some in Gatlinburg. I grew up just outside Gatlinburg and first went there about 35-40 years ago. Hey, it was a tourist town then same as now. The biggest change I've seen is the time-share "hawkers" harassing everyone. Buildings go up, buildings go down, and another buiding goes up in the same location.

Oh, and I can't get my picture taken with an "Indian Chief" for 50 cents anywhere anymore as I did when I was a kid.

But, to me Gatlinburg is still essentially Gatlinburg.

Gatlinburg
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg
Level Contributor
681 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: complete study on the "laws of diminishing returns"

I wa hoping that nobody would respond to the "TRASHING OF GATLINBURG".

If we stop responding this thread will just slowly disappear and will not turn anybody off who has not visited yet.

Every time one of us sends in our comment it pushes this back to the top!!!

I know... I was just gulity too :(

Jonesborough, TN
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: complete study on the "laws of diminishing returns"

Well, I will push it back up to the top just once more to say this:

I don't think anyone would form an opinion on just one post. I wouldn't. I read through many posts before forming an opinion. Why, on this site, it wouldn't take but a few posts to realize that the negative comment is FAR OUTWEIGHED by positive ones! Give future readers the benifit of the doubt. I think people are smart enough to form opinions on criteria that is importnat to them...