We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving distances between cites??

Toronto
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Driving distances between cites??

Hi everyone

Hoping someone here can help with actual driving distance between Cincinnati and Knoxville and then on to Gatlinburg. I am thinking its about 6-8 hours.

Once at Gatlinburg I would like to drive through the park(hopefully the most scenic :) ) and would love to go to Nashville but believe thats maybe abit to far but by looking at the map here on TA Chattanooga is the next city and then loop back to Knoxville and back up to Cincinnati.

I am thinking it would take a day to drive through the park to go from Gatlinburg to Chattanooga.

I am trying to do all of this in maybe 5-6 days with a day here and there for down time. One of those days being in Gatlinburg and I guess the other day in Chattanooga or maybe in the park just outside of Chattonooga.

We would be doing this sometime in July or August so the roads are alittle busier and then of course there's always the dreaded "summer construction detours". LOL

Thanks for your help! :)

Richmond, Indiana
Level Contributor
95 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving distances between cites??

where we live in richmond, indiana it takes about six hours or so. in the pigeon forge book it said from cincinnati it should only take about 4.7 hours. i hope this helps you! oh and nashville to gatlinburg is about 4 something hours. i looked that up when we were wondering ourselves!

Grove City, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving distances between cites??

We live 100 miles north of Cincinnati and can make it to the Smokies in 7 hours. That's even with stopping for a sit down meal once along the way. Chattanoga is closer to Gburg than Nashville, so I think that would be a better bet. Here's an option, stay in the Smokies the whole time. There certainly is plenty to do. Chattanooga does have a lot to see, but my preference would be to stay in the Smokies. You might get a less biased view if Bluecuzco posts. He's from the Chattannoga area and can give you a better idea of all of the things to see and do there. Either way, you will have plenty to see and do.

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving distances between cites??

www.mapquest.com

Cinn, OH
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving distances between cites??

We plan on 4-1/2 hours of straight driving, but my DH drives fast, we also live outside of Cincinnati, add on to this stopping for a meal and gas or a potty break, you are talking 5-1/2 hours to Pigeon Forge. Knoxville instead of Pigeon Forge would knock off 1/2 hour probably.

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving distances between cites??

Seems you will be doing a lot of road time and not enjoying the sites. I would stay in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area for your vacation time. Drive time from Cinci is 5 hours. Get a cabin and enjoy the Smokies and stay off the eway.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving distances between cites??

I'm glad I decided to open this topic! Considering WhiteWizard's comment, "You might get a less biased view if Bluecuzco posts," I was a little surprised, since I consider myself a very biased person, but I suppose I'm biased towards both the Smokies and Chattanooga so it comes out even.

Nashville and Chattanooga are two very different cities. Nashville is very middle Tennessee, is a large city strongest in live music and music history but also offering some random historic sites like Stones River Battlefield, the Parthenon, the Hermitage, and the state history museum. Chattanooga like Nashville is a river city, but has a much stronger focus on it. Since the revitalization (pretty much the most impressive turn-around story in the US) the riverfront has been the crux of downtown. The mid-sized city pairs well with a Smoky Mountain trip, offering big city things without big city disadvantages and attractions that are generally of higher quality and value. With its gorgeous surroundings and historic, aesthetic, and education focused activities, Chattanooga is very much a turn-on-your-brain destination vs the more turn-off-your-brain choices of Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. There's some good live music, too, so you're not missing out on that entirely. The drive to Chattanooga from the Smokies is spectacular.

As always, I don't know how familiar with Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge you are but I must offer my standard warning that many or even a majority people I know find their crowds and shameless kitsch unforgivable. A visit to the Smoky Mountains by no means requires basing in Gatlinburg. However, as you see from the participation on this forum, many people love it.

1: Arrive in Gatlinburg. Enjoy afternoon and evening there. Roaring Fork could be an evening option here since its just an hour long. // 2: Explore the Tennessee side, Cades Cove and Little River Road and see what you wish to see in town. // 3: Drive to the North Carolina side to see the wonders of Newfound Gap Road, Oconaluftee, and maybe Deep Creek. Newfound Gap Road must be started in the morning to avoid crowds. Stay in Bryson City. // 4: Full day drive to Chattanooga. // 5: Explore Chattanooga. // 6: Morning in town and then the drive home.

If Gatlinburg is really your thing this itinerary might not be satisfactory since you really only have two afternoons/evenings there, but given a five day allotment and wanting to fit Chattanooga in properly, I think its a good amount.

Toronto
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving distances between cites??

Thank you all for your comments and tips!! After having read all the posts several times and reviewing the TA map I need to see a better map! LOL

What I did not realize is that most of the Smoky Mountains is in North Carolina. Also could not find Roaring Fork and Newfound Bend but once I review the area on Map Quest now that I know what some of the distances are I will have a better understanding of where we want to go.

For sure I must see at least one city and unless I extend the trip by one night and then maybe see Nashville(although briefly), it will have to be Chattanooga. Which sounds wonderful! I can't wait!!

I realize its alot of driving and not alot of relaxing but I want to see what I can while down here I only get one week a year to explore so I have to make the best of it and even the best laid out plans can change at the last minute...spend the whole time in the Smokies and thats ok too. :)

So since I am unable to do any yard work today on this rather dreary Mothers day I have been alotted some "uninterrupted" computer time to do some research. Will get back to you all!

Thanks again! :)

Hebron, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving distances between cites??

Most of the Smoky Mountains is not in NC...it's divided between the two. There might be just a little bit more on the NC side but it's pretty even to me. To get to Roaring Forks Motor Trail , go into Gatlinburg , turn at Stoplight #8 (Historic Nature Trail Rd) and follow that to Roaring Forks. This is a one way road with many pull offs and some old homesteads here and there. There are a few trails leading to waterfalls. It could take an hour as the previous poster mentioned or several hours depending if you walk the trails or just get out of your car and take pictures and enjoy the peacefulness of this area. I spent about 2 hours there last fall and I am unable to hike due to my health issues. This is one of my favorite places to go when I'm in Gatlinburg, which I love by the way.

You probably didn't find "Newfound Bend" because as far as I know that doesn't exist. Newfound Gap is on Newfound Gap Rd which is Hwy 441 and that goes through the park from Gatlinburg to Cherokee, NC. Newfound Gap is on the border of NC and TN. It is so pretty up there.

As for the other bigger cities, I would choose Nashville over Chattanooga in a heartbeat but with the recent flooding, Nashville might not be the best choice right now (but might be fine by when you go) but If it were me, I'd skip both of them and stay in the Smokies the whole week! :) Whatever you choose to do, have a great vacation.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving distances between cites??

You won't regret coming out to Chattanooga. At all. At the very very least it's an excuse to enjoy the Cherohala Skyway and Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest. Do you have an idea of what you're interested in seeing here?

Edited: 2:59 pm, May 09, 2010
10. Re: Driving distances between cites??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 06, 2010