We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation ideas anyone Introducing myself with questions

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kenosha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
337 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Vacation ideas anyone Introducing myself with questions

Hello everyone!

I have been chatting on the Oahu, Hawaii forum for about the last year! I finally visited Oahu for a week this month and it was beautiful!

Now I am on to my next vacation and I am looking for ideas!

My husband suggested Gatlinburg because it is beautiful and a fun place. However, we are thinking about starting a family here in the near future so I am wondering if I should visit some place big like the United Kingdom, Ireland, Alaska or something like that now or go low key and visit Gatlinburg this time around and save some money and maybe go some place big later. Silly eh! If my hubby is offering to pay for a big trip you think I would jump all over it eh! However, at the same time I think a nice quiet place in America would be pretty nice too.

What do you all think?

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Vacation ideas anyone Introducing myself with questions

Tissie, I am near retirement, have been to 9 European countries. They are all beautiful and have something to offer. However, we go back to the Smokies every year. We rent a cabin (Eaglesridge.com). Our oldest son, his wife and three sons now join us. The park has great waterfall hikes from less than a mile to 8 miles, and many nature trails. The drive to the top of the mountain can be beautiful if it is clear, or if the clouds are hanging below the mountain tops. Pigeon Forge has great entertainment and restaurants. There's Dollywood if you like parks, helicopter rides, museums. The drive through Cade's Cove can produce glimpses of wildlife, although it tends to be a bit of the old "bumper to bumper" at times in summer. We have seen bear, coyote, whitetail deer, and wild turkeys. Just walking to some of the old cabins and seeing how people used to live is fun too. Get off the beaten path! If you want to go to Europe with a baby, well that is possible too! We just took a stroller and our baby was a delight to most foreigners...he was so friendly and always happy. Occassionally we couldn't get in to a place, but they were far between. Again, we tended to do "nature" things, lots of hiking. Sharon

Kenosha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
337 posts
1 review
Save Reply
22. Re: Vacation ideas anyone Introducing myself with questions

Thanks Sharon!

My family lives near Jane Lew, WV. :-)

Well I don't have a baby yet... that was the whole discussion, whether or not to go now before we have kids or put it off.

It sounds like a lot of people have traveled to extravagant places but when it comes down to it, staying close to home can be just as nice. Well the U.S. does have a lot to offer!