We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In GB now!

M J
North Carolina...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
In GB now!

Colors not yet peaking. Weather cool. Ready to hike tomorrow-any suggestions? Also, has anyone tried the horseback riding in the park? Thought my son would like that. Any input will be appreciated. It is our first time here. It is truly beaautiful!

nashville tn
Level Contributor
210 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: In GB now!

I have done the horseback riding before and it is alot of fun. It's a good way to see the park. How old is your son? I like the hike to Abrams Falls but it is a long hike. As you go into the park there are pull offs all the way up the mountain that you park and hike. You can go to the welcome center right as you come into town and they have maps that will list all of the trails and the mileage of each. You can also pick these up at the Nature Center. Have a great time and let me warn you, Gatlinburg grows on you. Once there you never want to leave. Let us know how your trip was once you get back home. I wish I were there now.

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In GB now!

Where are you staying?Give us a review please.Thanks!Have a great trip.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: In GB now!

Hello you lucky dog! We went horseback riding at the Smoky Mountain Riding Stables located 4 miles out Gatlinburg on Hwy 321 (light #3). If you are in town take the turn out 321 towards Cosby. The stables are out on the right. We actually went when it was the McCarter Stables a couple of years ago. It has changed hands now. The trail went deap into the mountains and at time next to a stream. I think you cross the stream too. We went for a 1 hour ride. We also went in Cades Cove and it was nice too.

Mentioned in this post
Smoky Mountain Riding Stables
Smoky Mountain Riding...
338 Reviews
Gatlinburg, TN
M J
North Carolina...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In GB now!

Ok arrived home tonight. Went horseback riding for the first time. Walden Creek stables-great place-beautiful ride.We had a great guide. We stayed at what ended up being about a 1/2 hour from the park. Brothers Cove cabins. They have a Sevierville address. They are located just outside of Pigeon Forge and up the road from Walden Creek stables! Well, the cabin was outstanding- in a beautiful log cabin community nestled in a mountain. It was new and EXTREMELY clean! If you go in the summer-they have a lovely pool that sits above on a ridge. Anyone renting a cabin can use it. Paved roads through out. At the park-we picniced and did Chiminey tops trail and Clingman's Dome. Great views The Chiminey trail was Very rugged! GB was fun to just nib around. Lots of attractions for kids too. Can't believe I waited so long to go. Got great reubens to take on picnic from a deli in the Village-but get there early-it's a tiny place and gets busy very quickly.We had The Best time- not bad for last minute plans. ie. 2 day notice!!!

Mentioned in this post
Sevierville
Sevierville
Sevier County, TN
Pigeon Forge
Pigeon Forge
Sevier County, TN
Marshall, North...
Level Contributor
384 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In GB now!

Glad you had a great trip!!! The Chimney Tops trail is the best isnt it!!?? I still have not got up the nerve to go horseback riding though. Maybe next time!!!