We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need lots of help for possible Thanksgiving trip!!!

Lockport, IL
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Need lots of help for possible Thanksgiving trip!!!

My husband and I were supposed to take a trip one month from tomorrow to Key West, and we just found out that our flight was cancelled. :( All other flights are way too expensive, so we decided to maybe take a drive down to Tennesseee.

I haven't been to Gatlinburg in about nine years, so I have a few questions I'm hoping some of you can help with.

We are planning on coming down for Thanksgiving. Probably November 21 - 26. Is this a good time for visiting the mountains? What is the weather typically like? Is it busy? Are restaurants open for Thanksgiving dinner? We would probably like to stay somewhere in downtown Gatlinburg, does anyone have any suggestions on where to stay?

I'm sorry for all of the questions. I'm hoping that I can still find somewhere to stay since it's only four weeks away.

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Tara

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Gatlinburg
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg
Level Contributor
681 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Need lots of help for possible Thanksgiving trip!!!

You can find out who has rooms at the Gatlinburg Chamber of Commerce website gatlinburg.com. They can also tell you what restaraunts are serving a Thanksgiving meal.

Mentioned in this post
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Need lots of help for possible Thanksgiving trip!!!

This is for gburggal. ARe you cabins still available? If so, I am interested. How do I contact you?

13. Re: Need lots of help for possible Thanksgiving trip!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:03 am, October 22, 2005
Mississippi
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Need lots of help for possible Thanksgiving trip!!!

I made a reservation at the Country Inn and suites just yesterday. Our room will cost us 47.50 a night. We have stayed here before and I am really looking forward to another Thanksgiving in the mountains. We have no children and our families sspend time together at Christmas but not Thanksgiving. Our 29th anniversy is the 19th and we will leave out eary morning on the 19th . We will stay in Townsend on Saturday and go into Pigeon Forge on Sunday morning. Most all of the stores and eating places are open during that week. It is busy but not too busy from Sunday to Wednesday. Wednesday it really begins to pick up and Thursday and Friday aare really jumping. The radio said one time bumber to bumber and doorknob to doorknob on the parkway. But we go in on the Saturday before and leave out eary on T'giving day to avoid the crowds.Reading these posts make me wish I was on my way today.

Mentioned in this post
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Gatlinburg, TN
Country Inn & Suites by...
673 Reviews
Gatlinburg, TN
Townsend
Townsend
Tennessee
Pigeon Forge
Pigeon Forge
Sevier County, TN
15. Re: Need lots of help for possible Thanksgiving trip!!!

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:10 am, October 22, 2005
16. Re: Need lots of help for possible Thanksgiving trip!!!

Removed on: 9:03 am, October 22, 2005
mississippi
3 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Need lots of help for possible Thanksgiving trip!!!

TBC - sorry to hear about the problem with your flight cancellation but you will love the Smokies during Thanksgiving! We go every year during this time! Granted, there is LOTS of traffic especially after Wednesday, but if you like to walk it is a great place to wander around. Many kinds of shops and places to go. Most all restaurants are open for Thanksgiving but the meals tend to be pricey. We usually take something for the grill and head out very early in the a.m. to Cades Cove. At the end there is a nice picnic area and we usually cook out and eat our Thanksgiving meal there - nothing fancy but it is wonderful! The smell of fresh air tinged with smoke from the fires around...falling leaves, the peace of the Smokies....ahh...just 24 more days...The Smokey Mountain Lights are turned on usually the first weekend in November and stay on thru the end of January. It is beautiful. We found a nice place called the Kingwood Inn (about 2 blocks up from Parkway). It is an older hotel but GREAT value, clean, friendly staff, and the rooms are big. We love it! Trolly stops at the front door or you can walk to downtown in about 5-10 minutes. We have seen bears on the property two different times! This is a truly awesome place and, in my opinion, one that will leave much longer lasting memories than a beach! (for me anyway!) Hope you enjoy your stay!

Mentioned in this post
Cades Cove
Cades Cove
4,328 Reviews
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN