We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helicopter Ride

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
La Porte, IN
14 posts
Save Topic
Helicopter Ride

We're coming to the Smokies this Friday and were thinking about taking a helicopter ride. Anybody done this? Is it worth the money?

Gatlinburg
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg
Level Contributor
673 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helicopter Ride

I worked in a Helicopter Squadron in the Navy. You do know that is a mathmatically proven fact that helicopers are not supposed to able to fly! I flew is several while traveling to and from ships, you couldn't pay me to get in one now!!

You might want to look into a hot air balloon. That sounds really great and much safer!!

Indiana
Level Contributor
579 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Helicopter Ride

We took a helicopter ride a few years ago in Pigeon Forge and thought it was great. It was loud, but we loved the views. Of course, I love to fly and my son is a pilot. If you are afraid of flying in an airplane, you would probably hate it.

Bowling Green...
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Helicopter Ride

My husband took one several years ago and loved it.

Not sure what the price was back then. But, he thought it was worth it.

He would also love riding in a hot air balloon...but, I'm not going with him...I get nervous going up to the top of the space needle.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Helicopter Ride

My husband and I took a hot air balloon ride over tbe smokies about 9 years ago. It was unforgetable!!!! Back then it was $330.00 for 2 people for about 1 hour. Not sure what it is today. I've booked a helicopter ride in Nov. $133.00 for 2 for 15 min. I'll be waiting to see if my husband is ok before we add any time to the ride. Spook45350 Please let me know how it went.

La Porte, IN
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Helicopter Ride

Thank you for your replies! I've skydived before and I know jumping out of a perfectly good airplane doesn't make sense, either. But I hadn't thought of the hot air balloon. Thanks for the suggestion Laurel-Springs-Lodge!

Actually, I've been in a helicopter before, but there wasn't much to look at in northern Indiana...cornfields, subdivisions, small lakes...pretty much flat, featureless land. I must be in about the same mindset as you Smiles18. I love the Smokies and hope to live there someday. I don't care much for the 8 1/2 hour trip. Maybe we could charter through your son?!

I might be going by myself, also, Powcat. My wife is pretty much a land lover. She'll fly if she has to, but she has to be pretty well sedated!

Ourplace, I'm not sure I'm going that route yet. If I'm going to do this, I would want to do the Grand tour, which is like $230 + tax per person. We've never been on an ATV and my wife would really like to rent a couple and go up into the mountains, so because of time and money constraints, the helicopter ride might have to wait. I'll get back to you on this!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Helicopter Ride

My husband is afraid of hieghts so that's why I am waiting to see how he takes it. I have info on ATV -- 1 1/2 hour $140.00 for 2 people - have that booked too. If you need into I'll get it for you.

Indiana
Level Contributor
579 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Helicopter Ride

spook46350 I like your idea of chartering through my son. I keep jokingly asking him when he is going to fly me down for dinner at the Park Grill, but so far, he hasn't agreed. HA Too expensive for a few hours stay. With the price of gas, it looks more practical every day. Maybe some day.

La Porte, IN
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Helicopter Ride

Thanks Ourplace, I have info for Bluff Mountain Adventures. If you have info on another one, I would appreciate it.

2 DAYS!! I can't wait! I'll be counting the minutes before long!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Helicopter Ride

I also have Bluff and I found a web site that you can print a $5 off per ride. Which ride are you taking?

La Porte, IN
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Helicopter Ride

I'm thinking the 1 1/2 hour "Mountain Trail Adventure Ride". It says it goes through streams and to the top of Bluff Mountain. Have you taken this one before?