We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October in Gatlinburg

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
123 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
October in Gatlinburg

We're planning a vacation in late October and wondering what the weather is like in Gatlinburg.

We've never been to the Smokies and want to make sure we pack appropriately. Thanks!

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
480 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October in Gatlinburg

For the official lowdown on weather, I always check weather.com. Enter Gatlinburg, TN...then pull up "averages and records". Then select "daily averages." It will give you a breakdown by date as to the highs and lows, sunrise/sunset plus preciptation. It's a very good resource for travelers and I use it often.

Personally, I've found October to be a real mixed bag...but mostly nice and dry since the rainy periods are behind you. For example, Oct. 20 shows an average high temp of 68 degrees and average low of 40. By Oct. 30 it's 65 and 37. Not too bad for enjoying the fall color during the day and the fireplace and hot tub at night!

T shirts and jeans are perfect during the day, but you'll definitely want a cozy sweater or fleece jacket at night.

Under your bed
Level Contributor
334 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: October in Gatlinburg

I've been twice in October, it's my favorite time of year to go. Back in 2003, it was as Onstar said- jeans and t-shirts during the day, but at night it got very cold and required a jacket. This was around the second week in October.

We also visited Halloween weekend last year, and the weather was just perfect. It never got cold. It was dry and reasonably warm (give or take a cool breeze here and there).

Take a few warm things just in case it gets chilly down there. Enjoy your trip! We're headed down in late October too :)

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
123 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October in Gatlinburg

Thanks so much for your help! It sounds beautiful. Now we just have to start looking for chalets!

Greenfield, Indiana
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: October in Gatlinburg

In my personal experience, the weather is usually gorgeous in October. Its my favorite time of year to visit the area!

I would pack jeans, short-sleeve shirts and maybe some lighter long-sleeved shirts for the days. Bring a light jacket and maybe some sweaters or sweatshirts for the nights. Also, I would bring a pair of shorts just in case you have a really warm day. Don't forget your bathing suit if you're staying somewhere with an indoor pool. And make sure to bring a comfortable pair of walking shoes (or boots if you plan to hike).

The year we got married in Gatlinburg (1999), it was actually snowing and very cold when we got there, although I would think that is a rarity. It warmed up the next day.

Anyway, I'm sure you're going to love the Smokies!