We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much does the annual

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Topic
How much does the annual

wildflower pilgrimage actually affect the overall crowds in the area??? Surely it isn't comparable the the foliage crowds....although maybe it is. Since I have never been in Spring, I am pretty clueless. We don't like a lot of crowds and we are debating between going the third week of April when the wildflower pilgrimage is (22-26) or the last week that will overlap into May. I am so excited to go in Spring!

Is this a good time to see a lot of blooming and new growth?

As always, thanks for your advice!

taylorsmommi
Level Contributor
663 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much does the annual

You are correct to say the foliage crowd is WAY higher than the wildflower crowd! I think the majority of the Major crowds will be the week after Easter (Spring break for a lot of schools in the country) I am sure lots of growth and blooming will be going on either of the weeks you mentioned!

Of course if you would like to participate in the many natural history walks, motorcades, photographic tours, art classes, and indoor seminars.. you would want to come the week of the 22-26th! :) While it may be slightly more crowded, I don't believe it is one of the Major crowd attractors like the changing of the leaves! :)

Jacky

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
43,584 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much does the annual

Yes, late April and early May is good for wildflowers, although the tree blooms are usually gone by then.

I actually prefer earlier in April, so I can see the tree blooms, but with Easter being late this year, that won't be a good time for low crowds.

The Wildflower Pilgrimage brings in a lot of folks, but they are usually participating in the scheduled events and not "out in the general public" like the fall-foliage crowds are.

unionville tenn.
Level Contributor
881 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much does the annual

We were there last year during the wildflower weekend and the crowds were not bad at all. There were some pretty flowers, I guess alot of that will depend on the weather.i have found a good way to check on crowds is to go to some hotel websites. We usually stay at Leconte View which is right across from the convention center. If I go to their website and punch in a date and start getting a bunch of not available I know something is going on. Those dates will be a little early for the rhodendren, I was hoping they would be in bloom but they were just budding. The dogwoods and redbuds were blooming along the roadsides and were very pretty.

4. Re: How much does the annual

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, August 11, 2009