We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation in Feb

Alabama
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Vacation in Feb

My son will be turning 16 in Feb. Valentines day to be exact, and all he wants for his B'day is to go back to Gatlinburg. I have seen a couple postings on this but wanted to touch on it a bit more before making all the plans.

Would it be better for us to stay in town as apposed to the mountain areas? Since both hubby and I will be taking off work Fri-Mon, we didn't want to take the chance of being snowed in.

Any suggestions about places to stay in Feb would be a great help. Thanks so much, Sherry

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation in Feb

I think it would be better to stay in town.

Bearskin Lodge probably has good rates that time of year. Very comfortable beds! :)

Kingwood Inn is not opened that time of year, or I would suggest them.

Bales is a inexpensive place. Old but clean. Can even get rooms with full kitchen for low price. Beds are the usual uncomfortable old hotel ones unless they have got new ones. They did just add more rooms so they might have better ones.

Have fun!

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,723 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation in Feb

If you are coming for a weekend in February, just realize lots of church youth groups take over the town on weekends for their "retreats" and such at that time of year. Many of them don't act very church-like either, IMO.

Be sure to avoid Valentine's weekend, as it will be a madhouse with all the weddings and anniversary trips too.

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation in Feb

Kat_Cubs_fan, I forgot about that! You could wait forever for a elevator at the places that have elevators! The kids think it is funny to put a cart in the door to keep it from going any where.

You can go back to your room and call the front desk to get it fixed or see if your cell phone works. Mine did not work around the elevator at Bearskin.

I think there must be an electronic way for the front desk to be notified when elevators are being blocked.

And some places like Park Vista will have the filthiest swimming pools you have ever seen!

Alabama
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation in Feb

So it would be better to stay in a cabin rather than hotel or condo I assume....

Thanks for the heads up!!!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation in Feb

We have gone the week before Valentines Day and it was a ghost town. It was really peaceful and no traffic and no lines. A couple of places are shut down but not that many anymore. You can probably contact the chamber of commerce to see what conventions are scheduled for the weekend you are planning to visit. If you are planning for Valentines Day, it will be very crowded, especially since that is on a Saturday next year.

I would check with the chamber, pick a weekend and find a hotel in case of snow (rare). If you want to stay in Gatlingburg, I have read good things about the Clarion, Hampton and Riverhouse. If you are considering Pigeon Forge, we have stayed twice at the Inn at Christmas Place and it is really nice.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
20 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation in Feb

Gatlinburg is pretty deserted in January and Febuary and I have found that some of the small shops are closed Mid-Week, during that time. Weekends it is crowded again. Be aware, that a lot of the Mountain Roads are closed for the Winter, Snow or not. I moved to the Area almost Three Years ago and would be surprised, if you were Snowed in. We do get Snow but I have yet to use my Boots and Snow Scraper, I brought with me. LOL. I would stay in Town, especially, if you are going to be here Mid-Week. You should be able to get a Room anywhere for a decent price.

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacation in Feb

I would still stay in a hotel but ask before making reservations if any teen convention groups are staying there at the same time and if they have a pool you will be using does it get the chlorine smell (means they are not taking care of it right) and if their elevator gets stuck, if they have one. There are many places to stay that do not even have one.

Gatlinburg
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg
Level Contributor
678 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vacation in Feb

Depending on what your sons interests are, town is convenient to everything but mountain views are great if staying up in the mountain. When looking at your lodging options, bed and breakfasts are always a great way to go, less people as these are smaller facilities, you get the personal aspect you loose at the larger hotel/motels. Most important, read reviews, I read them for everything, they are a wealth of information and help when looking everything from travel to purchases.

Portsmouth, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vacation in Feb

Would recommend staying in a luxury cabin we have stayed at Gatlinburg Falls Resort on five occasions.

The cabins are amazing and have game rooms with pool tables, air hockey and arcade machine with pacman and more great games. Most cabins even have more than one bathroom and come with nice showers and heart shaped whirpool tub in one of the bathrooms.

Also like the hot tub on the deck and the deck swing.

Full kitchens and dining areas and some have large flatscreen tv's in living room. We loved all the cabins however my favorite was Mountain Splendor and

Pinnacle View both are 1 bedroom however they have a sleeper sofa and futon as well.

Only 3 minutes from the main parkway easy to find

and no steep hills to climb.

Alabama
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vacation in Feb

Thanks everyone for your help~