I know the feud between The Pancake Pantry and The Log Cabin Pancake House for Gatlinburg Pancake dominance is an ongoing thing here on the forum. And I guess I am guilty to keep bringing it up but……….
I have always been a staunch supporter of The Pancake Pantry for many years. I know there are long lines, I know they don’t take Credit Cards, I know their prices are high.
Having said that, I have given The LCPH chances in the past and after they took over the #1 review spot here on the forum recently, I thought I would give them one more chance Memoral day weekend.
I know everyone has an opinion and I respect that, but I must say that anyone that thinks LCPH is better than the Pancake Pantry is respectfully NUTS!
LCPH is not a bad place to eat by any standards but the quality of food just does not come close to the PP, or several other houses for that matter.
Our experience on Saturday, Memoral weekend at the LCPH on Airport Rd:
1. got there about 9:30, quick seating, no wait
2. Large selection of menu items
3. Waitress started out good, but that changed
4. My wifes coffee was luke warm and strong. I nicely asked the waitress for a “fresh” cup. She proceeded to inform me that their coffee was “fresh” through out the day. You know, I was in the Fast Food business for many years and the old saying "“The customer is always right” is actually true...(even if they are not). When a customer asks for a fresh cup of coffee, the response should be something like….”of course” or “Yes, I will be right back”. You do not insinuate that the customer does not know what the coffee they just put in their mouth tastes like. You just nicely bring them another cup of friggen coffee ! Don’t you agree?
5. The waitress was fine after that, I assume she realized she may have just jeopardized her tip, little did she know it was too late. It is hard to get me back once you have alienated me, especially with attitude.
6. I had a pecan Belgian waffle which was excellent.
7. My DW had eggs over easy , hash browns, and bacon. Eggs and hash browns were VERY greasy, bacon had been setting for quite a while.
8. Our daughter had an omelet that was just average. She is not a pancake eater so I tried one of her buttermilk pancakes. It was good but nothing special. They just do not have that special taste the the PP’s regular buttermilk pancakes have. The syrup was warm which I love.
9. You cannot get real butter….If I am going to clog my arteries, I want the option to do it naturally, not with the chemicals in margarine.
10. And last but not least….they are nearly as expensive at the PP. Total was $32 for 3 of us, plus the well deserved $1 tip. Maybe a few bucks cheaper over all.
Well it was back to the PP yesterday, waited in line about 10 minutes. Had omelets, pancakes, the best French toast you will ever eat, delicous cinnamon cream syrup that you cannot get anywhere else, mounds of whipped real butter, steaming hot coffee with plenty of refills.
So there you have it, I hate to keep bringing it up and some may seem it is petty and I don't want to stop anyone from eating at LCPH,if that is their preference, but I hate to see a newbie to Gatlinburg actually not try the PP because of the reviews that say the LCPH is so much better.
I especially hate the reviews that totally condem the PP experience due to the fact that they do not accept Credit cards, yes it is an inconvenience and I think it is a bad business practice…..but read the sign, take cash and GET OVER IT. If you don't have any cash in your pocket, you should not be on vacation in the first place.
My Pancake house rankings are:
1. Pancake Pantry
3. Mountain Lodge
4. Any Cracker Barrel
Eat where you want, (but you will like the PP much better!)