We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relocation Advice?

Hattiesburg...
Level Contributor
761 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Relocation Advice?

My husband and i are looking to relocate to this area. Every time we visit, we say we are going to move and this time we are serious...lol!! Quite frankly we are fed up with the hustle and bustle of big city life and want to move to a quieter area where we can enjoy the more simple side of life.

Any advice on moving out that way? what was your reason for moving or living here? what kind of business are you in? if you dont mind answering.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Marshall, North...
Level Contributor
384 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Relocation Advice?

We would love to move too!!! I have been sending in resumes for the hubby in Knoxville but not having much luck. Its hard when you live 650 miles away. Im not much help but just wanted to wish you good luck!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Knoxville
Knoxville
Tennessee
Portsmouth, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Relocation Advice?

Just wanted to say your lucky living in Tennessee because my husband and I live in Ohio and we cannot hardly wait to move out

of here. Loving traveling to Tennessee because it is a beautiful, relaxing place and the people are charming and nice unlike most

people around are area most walk around with a sad look on there faces most of the time I guess it is because they hate living around

this part of Ohio too. Anyway Good Luck!

Mentioned in this post
Tennessee
Tennessee
United States
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Bowling Green,KY
Level Contributor
168 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Relocation Advice?

All I can say is get somthing within walking distance of the city. That would be awesome.

USA
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Relocation Advice?

Warning

_________

The area is great, but it can be very hard to make a living there--at least a decent living. Property values are pretty high and wages are pretty low.

They used to say there were two sources of income for Sevier County--tourists and the people who moved there to make money off the tourists. I've seen more than one family spend their life savings to open a shop or restaraunt in Gatlinburg and then to leave two years later broke and devastated.

It's a lovely place, but make sure you've got yoru finances in order if you move there.

Mentioned in this post
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Mississippi
Level Contributor
268 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Relocation Advice?

Heh, if you lived there, where would you go on vacation??

:)

kentucky
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Relocation Advice?

i know how you feel christy i used to live in toledo ohio and tated every minute of it, now live in kentucky, it's better but not the best either.

Hattiesburg...
Level Contributor
761 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Relocation Advice?

Thanks everyone for your well wishes. Our plan is to work in knoxville b/c i can transer with my company, and live in one of the smalelr towns in that area like Maryville or Semour. That way we will be much closer to the mountains and also have pretty scenery around us. Maybe as we get older and have more resources we can build a cabin in the mountains, but for now we will "settle" for being much closer to them!

USA
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Relocation Advice?

There is no real town of Seymour. It is just scattered housing and stuff--plus the highway (Chapman Highway) is a death-trap. (Lost my uncle on that Highway 2 years ago!)

Maryville is a really nice, historic town with a great little college. It is also just as close the national park, but you don't have to go through the tourist gauntlet of Sevier County to get there.

Mentioned in this post
Hattiesburg...
Level Contributor
761 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Relocation Advice?

Thanks, middle aged man for the info. We have driven the back way through Maryville and remember it as being very pretty. Havent had much luck in finding housing there. Any suggestions?

We dont know much about seymour, but found a great house there. What is the drive from seymour to knoxville like?

tennessee
Level Contributor
178 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Relocation Advice?

it would all depend on what part of Knoxville you were talking about.

Mentioned in this post
Knoxville
Knoxville
Tennessee