We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who cooks while on vacation??

Boonville, North...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Who cooks while on vacation??
Save

So I’m trying to decide if I want a cabin, condo etc with a stove, or full kitchen. But I’m wondering, will I really stay in and cook to save money? So I want to know who cooks to save money and who eats out all day everyday? Should I just bring my propane stove to use in a place without a stove?

Carencro, Louisiana
Level Contributor
464 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Who cooks while on vacation??
Save

We rent a cabin and cook breakfast every morning on vacation; not so much to save money but to be able to take our time drinking coffee, eating breakfast and getting ready for the day. This past trip is the first time I cooked supper in the cabin and we liked that as well but are usually out and about and don't really cook lunch or supper; just coffee and breakfast (simple things). It's also nice to have a refrigerator to be able to put lunch meat in to be able to pack picnic lunches for the day and to be able to put left over food from restaurants!!

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
49 reviews
48 helpful votes
2. Re: Who cooks while on vacation??
Save

It varies with the trip, although I have rarely cooked supper while on vacation. If I rent a cabin or a condo, I'll sometimes cook breakfast and like LesleyM I like having a refrigerator for sandwich fixings, snacks, drinks, etc.

Greenwood, Texas
Level Contributor
5,102 posts
452 reviews
961 helpful votes
3. Re: Who cooks while on vacation??
Save

We don't usually cook but like having the fridge for sandwich fixings, milk , drinks, ice and adult beverages. We often have a quick breakfast of cereal and milk in the room. Occasionally may fix hot dogs or something really simple for lunch. We just don't spend much time in the room except for sleeping. We are early risers and are normally out and gone before most breakfast places even open.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,211 posts
42 reviews
23 helpful votes
4. Re: Who cooks while on vacation??
Save

I do not cook here. The restaurants in this area are fabulous, eating out is one of our hi-lights. Now to save money we stay in a hotel with breakfast or I will take cereal and usually only eat breakfast out once while there. We will typically snack for lunch or have something light and have an early dinner out. We don't stay in the room much either. A cabin cost more money to rent but eating out cost more too so you just have to weight your options. Most all hotels have a mini fridge and a microwave. It's easy to take microwavable grits or oatmeal etc. if the hotel doesn't offer breakfast. Sandwich meat and bread doesn't take up much room either. We always take water and soda with us to keep in the room.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Sevierville, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Townsend, Tennessee
Level Contributor
8,259 posts
369 reviews
209 helpful votes
5. Re: Who cooks while on vacation??
Save

I don't cook while on vacation. I cook at home everyday and when I travel I just don't do it. For me that is a vacation when I don't have to cook. We eat breakfast, lunch, dinner and even buy snacks while we are out and about.

We don't go out to eat much when we are home so I save it up for vacations. Haha the only problem is we take many vacations a year.

Like tkmull said the whole area has some of the best restaurants around.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
16,507 posts
3,310 reviews
4,483 helpful votes
6. Re: Who cooks while on vacation??
Save

We spend the week at Tree Tops Resort, and enjoy Breakfast and Coffee on the Balcony.

We dine out for Lunch and Dinner.

Richmond, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
48 reviews
29 helpful votes
7. Re: Who cooks while on vacation??
Save

For me, it depends on the length and type of trip. For a quick weekend trip we usually do a hotel with a breakfast included and eat out the rest of the time. For longer stays we enjoy a cabin to have more room to move around as well as a hot tub, etc. We are a family of five with three teenagers that are hearty eaters so we try to limit eating out to one time per day if possible. If we go to fast food our bill is typically 30-40 and if we go to a sit down place it is typically upwards of 100 so we can save a lot of money eating in the cabin. We definitely do not do any huge cooking but have grilled out steaks, made pizza, etc. During our last trip in October we wanted to spend the evening watching football games so we bought pre made appetizers at the grocery. Hope you have a great time whatever you decide.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
265 posts
8. Re: Who cooks while on vacation??
Save

Every trip, we tend to average 1.5 meals out/day, which tends to mean we have 1.5 meals in/day. Most of the "in" meals are breakfast, so they are quick and easy (and usually no cooking), but I have been known to cook a fabulous "vacation only" brunch each trip (if you haven't done donut french toast with sliced berries and bacon, you haven't lived - best "crap, I don't want to toss this" meals I've ever made - the better the glazed donut starting quality, the better the french toast - and I only make this on vacations:)...the other meals tend to focus on sandwiches, chips, and fresh fruit smoothies, whether they happen at lunch or dinner.

By doing 1/2 as much work as normal (when I usually manage all 3 meals/day), I can take twice as many trips/year (2 vs 1)...

PS - The bigger the family, the more this pays off...my mom only eats in when she travels with us, b/c it's not cost effective to cook for a 1...but it totally is for a 7...

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
87,101 posts
2,908 reviews
2,794 helpful votes
9. Re: Who cooks while on vacation??
Save

For us, it’s the chef, and kitchen staff.

It is a vacation, afterall.

Enjoy,

Hunt

Easton...
Level Contributor
162 posts
57 reviews
49 helpful votes
10. Re: Who cooks while on vacation??
Save

We cook usually twice a day. Now, you can do WalMart grocery pickup in Sevierville for free so you don't waste time wandering around the store. They pack the car for you (and no tips accepted). One vote here for cooking and saving money, but still eating out occasionally.

Edited: 5 years ago
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.