We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Woman fell near Laurel Falls

Kentucky
Level Contributor
860 posts
183 reviews
Save Topic
Woman fell near Laurel Falls

GSMNP, Tenn. (WVLT) -- Laurel Falls Trail was temporarily closed Monday as crews worked to rescue a 63-year-old woman who fell near Laurel Falls.

A spokesperson for the Great Smoky Mountains National Park said that park rangers got the call at around 9:15 a.m. on Monday morning. That's when park rangers and the park's technical rescue team responded to the scene.

The woman from Florida had fallen about 40 feet below Laurel Falls. Crews secured her and used a rope and pulley system to lift her back up to the trail. Sixteen emergency responders then carried the injured woman 1.3 miles to the trail head where a waiting ambulance transported her to University of Tennessee Medical Center with multiple injuries.

The park's spokesperson said that the woman remained alert throughout the rescue operation.

Laurel Falls Trail was closed during the rescue operation but was reopened to the public at 1:15 p.m. on Monday.

Mentioned in this post
Laurel Falls
Laurel Falls
1,173 Reviews
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN
Florida
Florida
United States
University of Tennessee
University of Tennessee
390 Reviews
Knoxville, TN
3 replies to this topic
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Sevierville, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Woman fell near Laurel Falls

Oh my that is so sad. I hope she is ok.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
542 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Woman fell near Laurel Falls

That is a long fall. Hopefully her fall wasn't straight down and was able to slide (albeit a hard slide) on the rocks, etc.

Surprised you don't hear more situations like this happening in the park. Hoping she is on the way to a full recovery!

Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Woman fell near Laurel Falls

I know it gets very crowded at the falls. I was so afraid for my sister when she kept backimg up on that rock ledge to get a picture. It would be nice if there were a railimg of some sort near the falls. Of course, the exact place she fell was not mentioned.

Reply to: Woman fell near Laurel Falls
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;