We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is Dome Falls???

Wish I was in...
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Where is Dome Falls???

I was looking on eBay for old Smoky Mountain postcards, and found one of Dome Falls. I have never heard of this falls. I googled it and found that it is a 90 foot, wet weather fall off of Roaring Fork, but that is all I found. Does anyone have any other info on how to get to this one?

You can see the pic on eBay Item # 6200759552

Great Smoky...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is Dome Falls???

Hey fire I had to check it out I am a huge Ebayer that is really pretty neat and I too love to look at old post cards to see what things used to look like you know I never got the thought to start collecting them until I got on TA.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is Dome Falls???

Hi guys

I found this site that has all the coordinates etc. If you have a GPS and can use it, it will help with using this information. Click around and see what you can find. There is a picture too. Looks pretty

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
43,585 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is Dome Falls???

That's a new one for me too, as I've never heard of Dome Falls.

Would you be so kind as to write the directions on how to find it?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is Dome Falls???

Do you mean me Kat? 'Cause I am having trouble figuring it out. LOL

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,585 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is Dome Falls???

Well, I meant anyone who actually figured out where it's located.

My curiosity is peaked.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is Dome Falls???

Well, after studying the website above, I can tell you where it's not.

Look at this link from the site:

http://www.cs.utk.edu/~dunigan/gsmnp/googlegsmnp.php?lat=35.6593&lon=-83.4414&scale=12&file=gsmnp

After clicking around where I know Roaring Fork is, I found this info:

It is not by the Place of a Thousand Drips

It is not at Baskins Falls or Rainbow Falls

It looks like it is just past Grotto Falls.

That's the best I can do. I bet a ranger at Sugarlands could give more info. We need someone to go exploring. Firefighterzgrl, I nominate you! :)

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,585 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is Dome Falls???

O.K., I see now. Looks like it's "up trail" from Grotto Falls, further up the Trillium Gap trail.

Wonder if the same "creek" that feeds Grotto Falls is feeding this one too?

The info I found said it's only a "wet weather" falls, so I don't know.

Wish I was in...
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is Dome Falls???

I'm up for the exploring! I love this kind of thing. Is there a phone number to call to talk to a ranger?

I found another really neat pic of the falls! Here's the link:

http://diglib.lib.utk.edu/cgi/i/image/image-idx?c=rth;view=entry;subview=detail;cc=rth;entryid=x-roth0218;viewid=1;

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where is Dome Falls???

I love the old picture. I have seen his work before and saved the link in my favorites. My grandfather had many stories of the smokies of old - starting way back in the 1930's. I think it was one of Roth's pictures that gave me confirmation of a story that my grandfather told of hiking to a cabin named "Uncle Tom's Cabin". He told that an old mountain man came into Gatlinburg, met my grandfather and asked if he wanted to see the cabin. For a small amount of money, the mountain man took them there. I found the picture of the cabin with a hiking group in front of it in Roth's collection. Right on the front it says plain as day "Uncle Tom's Cabin".

Anyway, here is a number for the park headquarters. They will help you.

(865) 436-1200

Wish I was in...
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where is Dome Falls???

Thanks for the number. I'm going to call them tomorrow and I'll post what I find out.

I really need to ask my grand mother if she has any stories like yours from the Smokies. I know they went there several times when my dad was young. I love hearing about the way things used to be.