We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Grand Marais without a Car

Which Grand Marais hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
R M
Saint Paul...
3 posts
Save Topic
Going to Grand Marais without a Car

I am planning to spend 3 nights with my husband in August in Grand Marais. We should be staying at a cabin on lake superior which is a walking distance to down town Grand Marais. But, we are going there without a car and we do not drive. So, I am planning to enjoy the lake view, Artists Point, dining in the nearby restaurants and so on. But I like to go swimming and I was told that I can swim in inland lakes since the temperature of lake Superior can be quite chilly. I found that Devil Track lake is a 10 minutes drive so maybe I can hire a taxi/shuttle to that point. Do you recommend swimming there? If yes, where should I be going since it is a large lake with resorts on it and I am staying in another place. Also do you know any other inland lake that is nearby and good for swimming?

I also want to know if you recommend that I go to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area BWCA using a shuttle for a day trip. I never did canoeing before but I heard the area there is very beautiful and I wish if i can go.

Thanks a lot.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
382 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Going to Grand Marais without a Car

The OP's visit was scheduled for ten months ago.

Twin Cities, MN
3 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Going to Grand Marais without a Car

Curious what you decided to do and if you went, how did it turn out.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
111 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Going to Grand Marais without a Car

Arrowhead Transit has dropped their fares for the rides to Duluth

*From Grand Marais, the cost is now $10; round trip $20.

*From Silver Bay, the cost is $5; round trip $10.

All ages are welcome. Children must be accompanied by an adult.

Arrowhead Transit goes to Duluth on the 2nd. Tuesday and the 4th. Thursday each month.

Bus leaves from the Senior Center in Grand Marais at 7:15 am

Call for reservations by noon the day prior. A minimum of 5 passengers is required. Call 370-1515 for more information or to sign up to go.

minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Going to Grand Marais without a Car

Folks... this original post is over a year old, I doubt your contributions are helpful at this point.

Twin Cities, MN
3 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Going to Grand Marais without a Car

There is a possibility others are researching this subject and arrived here by web search. If it can help anyone, the information is worth sharing. Also, if the posts here are the latest information, it could save someone from wasting time on an outdated reply. Your point is true, yet at the same time there is always a possibility it could be helpful to someone. 'Tis the season for travel ;)

Edited: 9:54 am, June 20, 2013
minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Going to Grand Marais without a Car

Nice insight ddj333, point well taken. I do try to keep forums en pointe when I see something amiss, but I appreciate your comment.

If you're wondering how the original poster's trip went, might have more luck contacting them directly thru TA, perhaps asking them to post their experience? I personally would not follow something I posted from a year ago.

17. Re: Going to Grand Marais without a Car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, September 08, 2014