We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA-Phx-Prescott-Page-Vegas-LA

Which Page hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Covina, California
Level Contributor
163 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
LA-Phx-Prescott-Page-Vegas-LA

Is this crazy in 4 days?

Trying to blend a short family visit in Phx with some hiking in one of the spectacular canyons near Page (Crazy?)

Draft Itinerary:

Day One: Driving in from LA, will spend one night in Phx

Day Two: Drive to Prescott, spend one night there

Day Three: Drive to Page, do a hike ???? where ??? possibly drive through Navajo Nation? Canyon de Chelly?, spend night in Page

Day Four: Drive on through North/West on the 89 up into southern Utah (is this a gorgeous drive? Is it curvy and slow?) and catch the 15 through Vegas and onward home to LA.

Pls let me know if this is possible or if I need to add a day.....

Thank you.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,214 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LA-Phx-Prescott-Page-Vegas-LA

When? Lots of driving and no quality time anywhere except maybe at Prescott. Have you ever been to northern AZ? There's an awful lot that you'll miss.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,405 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LA-Phx-Prescott-Page-Vegas-LA

From LA. drive direct to Prescott ... I-10, US 60, 89 ... This route, saves a day & makes your proposal "almost", practicable ... carracar

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,214 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LA-Phx-Prescott-Page-Vegas-LA

The OP mentioned visiting family in PHX. No question that skipping PHX would improve the route. But...

If the plan is to do this in the coming weeks, shorter days and winter weather will further dampen the enjoyment factor. And the family will all get shorted.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LA-Phx-Prescott-Page-Vegas-LA

From Page to Los Angeles already is a 10 hours drive without visiting any place in souther Utah. If you want to do this trip I suggest:

1. LA-Phx for Family

2. Phx-Page (app 5 hours). Antelope Canyons Page.

3. Early start for Bryce for a brief visit and drive to Zion before dark.

4. Zion and another 8 hours drive to Los Angeles

Definitely add a day esp for southern Utah.

Tet

Covina, California
Level Contributor
163 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LA-Phx-Prescott-Page-Vegas-LA

Planning on next Sunday start time.

I have been to N. AZ only as far as GCNP, never to Page or Navajo Nation.

We really want to see those stunning slot canyons with stripes.

Covina, California
Level Contributor
163 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LA-Phx-Prescott-Page-Vegas-LA

So, what are the drive times?

I know 7 hours from LA to Phoenix.

2 hours or less to Prescott from Phoenix

?? from Prescott to Antelope Canyon/Page?

?? from Page to Las Vegas?

Now I am thinking it might be better to comeback down through Phoenix**on the way home, rather than up to catch the 15. It just looked "close" to Page on the map I was looking at.

** or....

**In the past I've driven west to catch the 40 outside Prescott and puts us west of Phoenix to get back to LA a little faster, but the windy mountain route we took isn't fun at night. Is there another straighter highway west so we can bypass Phx??

Thanks for all the responses.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,214 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LA-Phx-Prescott-Page-Vegas-LA

Prescott is in the mountains and virtually any route to get there will involve windy mountain roads. Straightest from PHX is I-17 to 169 at Cordes Junction and north via Dewey and Prescott Valley.

Prescott to Page will take 4-6 hours.

Page to LV is 5 hours.

My advice would be to skip Page and LV and choose a night or two at Sedona after Prescott. Antelope Canyons at Page are cool, but it sounds like you're confusing them with the Wave. Wave is inaccessible for you in this time frame.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,443 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LA-Phx-Prescott-Page-Vegas-LA

The I-40 is not outside Prescott, or very near. There's no roads to drive west from Prescott. One could go north on 89 to I-40 at Ash Fork, about an hour drive, and then 7 hours to LA. Or south to I-10 through mountains, about 2 hours, and 5 more to LA. Why Prescott? It's a detour in either direction.

You need to be looking at a large scale map that shows all of AZ.

The Antelope Canyons take from 1-1/12 hours each to see. The upper is a walk; the lower involves climbing ladders. Neither is really a hike. They're beautiful to see if you're there, but you need to judge whether they are worth the driving time. The sun does not reach down into them in the winter, but they are still fairly colorful. It will be cold.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LA-Phx-Prescott-Page-Vegas-LA

Fastest from Page would be to drive to Flagstaff on 89T/us89 and I40 and I15 to Los Angeles. But no southern Ut then.

California
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: LA-Phx-Prescott-Page-Vegas-LA

I'm the Prescott lover on this forum.

Prescott is 30 miles off I-17 which is the freeway that connects Phoenix to Flagstaff. Those 30 miles are fairly straight, the scenery unremarkable.

Prescott is such a pretty, historic town -- and is quite a contrast to the LA area. I think Prescott is often marginalized and therefore, is not marketed very well, probably because there are more sensational places to visit in Arizona with such spectacular scenery it makes it hard to compete.

Driving to Prescott from LA -- which I have done many times, even in the night -- takes about 6 hours. It really doesn't get curvy until you are 15 or 20 miles from Prescott on Highway 89. Call me strange, but that mountain drive is my most favorite part of the entire trip to Prescott. I think the mountain is so pretty!