We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antelope Canyon - Labor Day 2013

NJ
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Antelope Canyon - Labor Day 2013

I've just read posts for the last 2 hrs about the Antelope Slot Canyons so have found most of the information (thank you!). However, just wanted to know specifically 2 things, if anyone knows:

1. Can I expect it to be very crowded on Labor Day? Schools usually start right after but our schools are starting late this year so we are planning to do the Grand Canyon/Vegas trip (via Sedona & Page) that week.

2. Since I'm still having nightmares about my recent brush with a rip current at the beach, the chance of flash flood is scary. How often do these occur in early September and do they happen in the Upper, or the Lower, Antelope Canyon?

Thanks!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,763 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Antelope Canyon - Labor Day 2013

Expect crowds. Go early or later in the day to avoid the crush. Know that if there is even a remote possibility of a nearby storm that could trigger a flash flood, the canyons will be closed. Rainstorms, if they happen, occur in the afternoons

NJ
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Antelope Canyon - Labor Day 2013

Thanks, RedRox. I'm not a fan of crowds either so I was planning on trying to get to the 1st tour (8:45 am?). With 2 teens, it may require a miracle, but I'll try!

With 7 in our group, do you recommend reserving a tour?

Also, my mom had knee replacement surgery last month. She's recovering well but am wondering how much walking she'll have to do, esp. on uneven ground. Lower Canyon is definitely out because of that.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,763 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Antelope Canyon - Labor Day 2013

No need to reserve a tour. Just drive to the gate and you'll be loaded into the next truck. Tell Mom to ask for a seat up front. It's a wild rough ride up the wash to the canyon.entrance. The walk is about a half mile total on sugar sand. She might be glad to use a cane or walking stick.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
471 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Antelope Canyon - Labor Day 2013

What is the weather like in the Antelope Canyon region during labor day weekend? I would like to see upper and lower along with Horseshoe Bend.

NJ
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Antelope Canyon - Labor Day 2013

It was perfect weather last year when we went. I remember it being warm but not uncomfortable so I think the temps were probably high 70's. A little cool in the evenings. A look at the average temps on weather.com will give you a better idea.

Very sunny when we were there so sunglasses & a hat is good idea during the walk to Horseshoe Bend... and for the sand that will fly in your face & hair during the truck ride to the canyons! We loved both of those sights - just beautiful!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Antelope Canyon - Labor Day 2013

Can happen at Upper like last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCh-IYPlWH4

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,555 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Antelope Canyon - Labor Day 2013

I'm sure both upper and lower Antelope flash MANY times every year -- those slots wouldn't even exist otherwise. We just don't hear about them all because they try to keep everybody out when risks are high but, inevitably, there's a YouTube video every summer. Antelope Creek is one of the lower tributaries that empties into the Colorado River, so we're talking about all the water from the Colorado Plateau that funnels down. It doesn't even have to be raining in Page.

That said, I believe they have a NOAA warning system at Antelope, installed after the disaster in the late 90's that killed a lot of people in Lower Antelope. I'm sure they're very aggressive about closing down the tours if there's any risk. I don't believe there have been any deaths or even major injuries since then.

There were a lot of flash flooding in the Page area at the end of August last year. Wasn't there one day when it rained something like 5 inches (and the animals were pairing up looking for the ark?)

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
471 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Antelope Canyon - Labor Day 2013

Thanks for the responses. I had read online that it gets in the upper 80s/ lower 90s during Labor Day and if it was that hot I would go a different time. However, since RARP posted above that it is in the 70s I will get tickets for Labor Day.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,555 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Antelope Canyon - Labor Day 2013

Sabrina, statistically, the AVERAGE high temperature for September 1st is 90 degrees.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Antelope Canyon - Labor Day 2013

And it's a "dry" heat. I'd rather have 90F in Arizona than 80 in Boca Raton.