We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping Trip to Page

new braunfels
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Camping Trip to Page

I would appreciate any help in making an itinerary for our camping trip to Page. My husband & I (age mid 60's, excellent health) & 18 yr old grandson will be arriving in Page July 12 around noon and leaving July 16th or 17th. for Bryce Canyon (2 days) and then to Moab. Any suggestions on campgrounds with full hook ups? Is it more convenient to be in town or at the lake? The river float trip and tour of Secret Canyon , upper Antelope Canyon , and Horseshoe Bend seem to be the most popular things to do, is there anything else that we should not miss? Is it best to make reservations now for the river float/Secret Canyon trip & upper Antelope tour? How long to allow for each activity? Is Horseshoe Bend a drive yourself tour? Any suggestions for Bryce Canyon - my husband is not a hiker but will do short walks to see sites. I appreciate any help with planning our trip to make the best use of our time.

Martha815

Mentioned in this post
Antelope Canyon
Antelope Canyon
6,381 Reviews
Page, AZ
Horseshoe Bend
Horseshoe Bend
10,727 Reviews
Page, AZ
Dixie Ellis' Lower Antelope Canyon Tours
Walking Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Photography Tours
Grand Staircase Discovery Tours
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Photography Tours
Hidden Canyon Kayak
Gear Rentals, Kayaking & Canoeing, Hiking & Camping Tours
Jeep Lake Powell
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Private Tours
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,652 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping Trip to Page

I would camp at Wahweap Campground near the lake. You will have pool priveledges at the Lake Powell Resort.

www.lakepowell.com

Another place, Lone Rock is on the shore, but its primitive camping.No hookups.

You can also tour the dam while in town. Your grandson might enjoy the wakeboard park at Antelope Point.

www.antelopepointlakepowell.com

You could eat at the floating restaurant while there.

See sunset from Wahweap overlook.

I would make reservations for most tours,especially rafts or boats. But, at Antelope, you can just drive up and wait for the next available tour, to drive you up the wash if you want. Same at Lower. Just drive up and catch the next guide going down into the canyon. The kid may enjoy lower more with the ladders.Not sure if you would or not.

Horseshoe you walk to yourself over a sandy trail 3/4 mile each way.

Bryce is a park easily seen from most of the overlooks near the road. Drive to the end at Rainbow Point and the views are on the right on the way back down. The rim trail at the main amphiteater is paved with easy access for non hikers.

Edited: 12:44 am, June 07, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Wahweap Campground
Wahweap Campground
290 Reviews
Page, AZ
Lake Powell Resort
Lake Powell Resort
2,564 Reviews
Page, AZ
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping Trip to Page

Maybe check out a visit to Navajo Village at the trading post. No Zion in this time?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping Trip to Page

There's also Page Campground in town. It's cheaper and more convenient to most activities than Wahweap campground, but Wahweap is definitely the nicer and prettier location.

www.pagecampground.com

One time when I was at Page Campground, our group was picked up right at the campground for a tour to Antelope Canyon.

I like the movies at the Dam visitors center about building the dam.

You'll see a good view of the dam from going on the river float trip, but there's also a nice viewpoint you can drive to on Scenic View Dr, which is the street by Denny's Restaurant.

Summertime is busy at Lake Powell. So I agree that you should make reservations now.

Mentioned in this post
Antelope Canyon
Antelope Canyon
6,381 Reviews
Page, AZ
Lake Powell
Lake Powell
919 Reviews
Page, AZ
new braunfels
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping Trip to Page

Thank.s so much for the info

new braunfels
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping Trip to Page

Thank you for the info - we have been to Zion and we were in Moab last summer but thought we would go back

didn't get to go to Canyonland Natl pk . or might go to Grand Canyon. We have been to south and north rim many times but never get tried of it. Would love to get in some fishing, any good places?

Thanks again,

Martha815

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping Trip to Page

Not a fisherman myself but heard good things about Fish Lake Utah. You can drive north from Bryce via Antimony all on paved roads. Beautiful area: fishlake.com/ordereze/Content/3/Summary.aspx

Edited: 5:26 pm, June 07, 2013
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,652 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camping Trip to Page

Below Glen Canyon Dam at Lees Ferry is a popular place. But getting to it from Page with the road closure would take a bit of time. You could always try Lake Powell.

www.leesferry.com

Mentioned in this post
Lees Ferry
Lees Ferry
28 Reviews
Page, AZ
Lake Powell
Lake Powell
919 Reviews
Page, AZ
8. Re: Camping Trip to Page

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 09, 2014