We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mini TR...

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
mini TR...

Hi again...TR for Zion and Bryce Canyon in those forum...and here is our Page leg.

We stayed at the brand new Comfort Inn for a whopping $49.00 per night!! It is beside Sonic and across the road from Walmart. After supper we shopped at Super Walmart, and among other things, picked up some more supplies for our Grand Canyon/Phantom Ranch expedition later in the week.

We had wanted to do all of our laundry here, but the hotel was fairly full and they only had 2 washers and one dryer as one dryer was out of order, so it took a long time. (not because we had so much laundry, but because there was a line up). The we were going to go to the pool, but it was like sardines in there...small pool and lots of people make for cramped swimmimg. We waited for a couple of hours and both laundry and the pool cleared out a bit.

Hotel had free breakfast, and after that we headed for Glen Dam. We were trying to make it for the 9:30 tour, and showed up about 9:28, but they let us in. There were only us and one other family. It was actually very interesting and HUGE!!! The cost was only $17.50 for all 4 of us. (The 17 year old is considered an adult and the 12 year old a child). We tried to offer our tour guide a tip, but he said he could not accept as he was a Federal employee. We also had to go through airport type security. No bags, purses, etc. We had to empty all our pockets, etc as well...and go through a metal detector. Tour was over about 10:20.

We then headed for Horseshoe Bend. They have kept that part of hwy 89 open, so you can still access the trailhead. Yes, there is a steep sandy hill to climb, then some more sandy trails, but nothing too daunting. You would not be able to do it, however, if you had mobility issues. We were a little nervous near the edge, and kept well back. Very nice to see this part of the river right after being at the dam.

Then off for Lower Antelope Canyon. We were discussing payments options on TA before we left...so just so everyone knows...they do NOT take credit cards...cash only. Price is still $20.00 per adult plus tribal land fee of $6.00. For children up to 12 years...it's $12.00 plus $6.00. So all 4 of us cost $96.00.

We only had to wait about 10 minutes and our tour started at 11:50. We did not book anything ahead, just showed up. What a great place....we all loved this sooo much. He took us down a small sandy hill, then pointed to this small hole and said..."okay, everyone in".!!!! Literally...just a little crack in the ground. So in we went. What an adventure!! There were a lot of steep stairs and we took some of them like a ladder to make it easier. There were also many areas where it was very narrow to get through..if you are bigger or are not steady on your feet, I think you would have a hard time in here. But if you are nimble...it is great fun. Every turn are more awesome photo ops. Be sure to turn around every once in a while, as the photos behind you are equally as stunning.

There was one photographer down there without a guide, and where he was set up was a good indication that there was a good shot. He even told us which way to take the photos...this was not the guide, just a random photographer. At the end of the canyon, you climb up a bunch of stairs and there is about a 5 minute walk back to the car. If you ever get the chance...do this tour!!! We had our regular little camera and my cell phone camera and the cell phone actually took great photos. I kept looking at photos online, and thought that I would never be able to get shots like that...but I was wrong. I am far from being any kind of photographer, but I got many fabulous shots...it looks like the walls are glowing like fire. Amazing!!!

We were on our way about 1:20 (by the way, there are porta potties there, but no TP, so take napkins). We had to take the detour...98 to 160, then hooked back up to 89. We stopped at Cameron Trading Post and had their infamous Navajo Tacos...they were as good as everyone raved. We also bought some of their homemade fudge!

We arrived at our hotel just before 5:00...Drury Inn in Flagstaff. I will do a report tomorrow about the hotel (but know that it is great so far...free supper with drinks, free popcorn in lobby, free long distance, pool, hot tub, free breakfast, etc.). We plan to do Walnut Canyon in the morning to see cliff dwellings, eat at Salsa Brava (from Diners, Drive ins and Dives) and then head to Sedona!!!

I'm not sure if I should post it in Flagstaff (that forum doesn't get a lot of action) or put it in the Sedona forum. Either way...I hope to write again tomorrow evening.

Horseshoe Bend Slot Canyon Tours
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Photography Tours
Antelope Canyon X by Taadidiin Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Photography Tours
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,732 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mini TR...

Thanks again. Keep it up. You can post subsequent TRs in the Arizona forum and just put Flag or Sedona or whatever in the title.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,486 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mini TR...

That fudge is pricey, but oh so good. Glad to see your journey is going well.

Edited: 12:37 am, March 14, 2013
Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
832 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mini TR...

That is a wonderful trip report and will be unbelievably helpful for future travelers - hearing it from visitors who've just done this rather than 'only' from us locals. Lots of really helpful information here. ... by the way, i had the same kind of wow effect with my simple camera in lower antelope. My pictures were every bit as good (well, almost) as the ones my husband took with his fancy all-dancing all-singing camera with all the different lenses an d the tripod ... Enjoy the rest of your trip!!!

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mini TR...

I have been following your trip thanks for the info from a different set of eyes. Love the details about times, pools, laundry etc.

I also laughed at the "small hole in the ground everyone in" What an adventure.I can feel your excitement in your writing. It is making me want to add days to my trip.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,183 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mini TR...

Thanks so much for sharing. I will be reading your other reports as well. Glad to hear a firsthand experience of the detour as well as the new Comfort Inn. You have provided many helpful tips to others.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mini TR...

Thanks, great TR again. We like Drury for their happy hour and glad to hear Lower is still $ 26,--.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mini TR...

Excellent descriptions!! Thank you TravelloverOntario!

8. Re: mini TR...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 16, 2014