We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time changes???

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Time changes???

I feel kind of silly for not being able to figure this out for myself...but I have some questions about time zone areas in mid March.

If we leave Bryce and head into Page on March 12, 2013 do we gain/lose any time?? What about going from Page to Flagstaff/Sedona the next day...any time gain/loss?? Is Page on different time than Antelope Canyon as it's on Navajo land?

Sorry for being so daft...I did try to look it up and got lost.

Thanks.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,204 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time changes???

In mid March you will be on Mountain Standard time in all of those places.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,927 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time changes???

Arizona does NOT observe Daylight Saving Time, with the exception of the Navajo Indian Reservation. Utah DOES observe Daylight Saving Time all round. I checked the calendar and the transition to Daylight Saving Time will occur on Sunday March 10th in 2013, so on the day you're traveling, you will cross time zones heading into Arizona, in this case, you will "gain" 1 hour. 10 AM in Utah = 9 AM in Arizona.

Page is not technically on the Navajo Indian Reservation (right next door, but not quite there), so it will also be on Standard Time. If you visit Antelope Canyon with one of the tour outfitters out of Page, they will all operate on Mountain Standard Time.

Hope that helps. And you're NOT being silly about this at all, it's totally confusing I know! Good rule of thumb: "when in doubt, check it out."

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time changes???

Thank you. We are actually heading from Las Vegas to Zion on March 9th, staying 2 nights there, and then heading to Bryce on the 11th. It seems that we won't need to worry about time changes as they will happen while we are at Zion.

Thank you so much for your help.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,204 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time changes???

I didn't realize that the DST change happened so early. I stand corrected.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time changes???

There always is a 1 hour time difference between Nevada and Utah. (Lose one hour between Nevada and Utah.) You'll gain one hour between Bryce and Page.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,927 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time changes???

...and a beer :)

Wheaton, Maryland
Level Contributor
149 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time changes???

We're going to be in LV-Zion-Kanab-Page/Antelope Canyon-GCNP-LV in a couple of weeks. To try to make this simple, is the following accurate?

If it's 10am in Vegas,

it's 11am in Zion,

it's 11am in Kanab,

it's 10am in Page where most Antelope Canyon guides are located,

it's 11am when you're actually in Antelope Canyon, and

it's 10am in GCNP.

I figure that if I want to go to one of the Antelope Canyons at a certain time of day, the actual time won't matter as much as the location of the sun, but I'd still like to get my info straight. Thanks for reviewing and correcting any errors!

Atascadero...
Destination Expert
for Lake Powell
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Time changes???

Accurate summary, TornCalfGuy. This applies after March 10, through the summer, until the time changes again in the fall.

Also worth noting that Wahweap Marina, which actually straddles the Utah-Arizona line (the boat rentals are in Utah, but the campground and Lake Powell Resort are in Arizona), all operates on Arizona time, same as Page. That's not only to avoid more confusion, but because most visitors to Lake Powell are coming from Page. Keep that in mind if you have boat tours planned.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Time changes???

Antelope Canyons always have same time as Page.

Wheaton, Maryland
Level Contributor
149 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Time changes???

OK. So Antelope Canyons go by Arizona time (not daylight saving time). Realistically, I'd plan according to the Page, AZ time, anyhow but it's good to know the accurate time wherever I am. Thanks, Tet!