We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colorado river rafting trip recommendations?

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
747 posts
360 reviews
Save Topic
Colorado river rafting trip recommendations?

Hi. I apologize in advance if I am posting in the wrong area (I am reposting also i Sedona as I saw some area-wide knowledgeable DEs there with broad knowledge of the greater area).

We are looking to do a 5 day rafting trip on the Colorado River this summer (most likely June). Can you recommend any outfitters and if i should post (and research) in a different forum? Please don't think we are not searching the existing threads and reviews. We are.

We want suggestions, however, on which areas to do this - upper Grand Canyon? other? where to start? where would we fly in to? what would be the most memorable area to do so?

Once we have a better idea as to suggested areas, we can better edit our search approach and results.

Thanks so much for any suggestions and reflections.

pa
Level Contributor
11 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colorado river rafting trip recommendations?

My husband and I took an eight day motorized trip with GCEX, about 5 years ago.. At the time they were the only company starting at Lee's Ferry and ending (by speedboat the last hour or so) at Lake Mead. We flew into Vegas where we met up with GCEX got our gear, and the following morning were bussed to Lee's Ferry. After the trip they returned us to the hotel we all met at. Great trip if you have the time.

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
747 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colorado river rafting trip recommendations?

thank you southwestPa. we'll check into that...

for anyone on TA, any thoughts or preferences on upper canyon vs lower canyon trips?

finally, one member of our group has a slight physical disability that would make walking the 10 mile hike out of or into the canyon to pick up or at the end of the trip may be an issue.

probably not feasible, but do you know of any trips that might not involve a long hike to departure or at the completion of the trip?

thanks for thoughts.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,956 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colorado river rafting trip recommendations?

The only alternative to that 10 mile hike out (or in) is a service called a "drag out" or "drag in." This is essentially a 1-way mule ride, but different from the regular commercial trips in several aspects. They (Xanterra, the in-park concessionaire) set aside a string of 5 mules, and you basically pay for all 5 - it runs about $1000 if memory serves. This service must be reserved in advance by phone at 888-297-2757. Calling now would be advisable. The same weight, height and language guidelines for the commercial trips also apply to drag-ins and drag-outs. If your companion's disability involves back, hip or knee pain, I would rule this out. In many ways it can be more strenuous than hiking.

If hiking 10 miles out of the Grand Canyon at the end of the trip or down into it at the beginning aren't an option, nor is paying $1000 just to ride a mule down one way, then a partial Canyon trip (upper or lower) are out - you'll want to look at a full-canyon trip. And you'll want to free up another couple of days to accomplish it because the shortest full-canyon trip (from Lees Ferry to Whitmore Wash) is a 7 day motor trip. Video of such a trip ->: http://youtu.be/LO-Mzupkuuw

The video talks about a trip offered by a company called Grand Canyon White Water, but as you've probably found out, there are over a dozen companies that offer multi-day white water rafting trips, all of whom are good, solid companies with excellent reputations for safety and service. Which one you choose probably won't come down to who they are by name, but who's got the trip dates that best fits your schedule. Working with a company called Rivers & Oceans in Flagstaff will save you a lot of legwork; they work with all the different outfitters so they can help you narrow down a trip date. www.rivers-oceans.com or 800-473-4573

Oh, one more thing: if you absolutely can't free up the time to do that 7-day motor trip, there is a 4 day motor trip on the extreme Western end of the Grand Canyon (Hualapai Indian Tribal Lands) you might consider. You would be flown in to Whitmore Wash then motored out at Lake Mead. However, this part of the canyon is not as scenic nor the rapids as exciting as those you'd find upriver. All the good rapids are between Mile 1 and Mile 188; this 4-day trip starts at Mile 188 and travels about 92 river miles, a lot of it floating. At any rate, work with Rivers & Oceans and they'll help you work it out.

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
747 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colorado river rafting trip recommendations?

thank you so much for the excellent suggestions. we will follow up at once with rivers-oceans.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,956 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colorado river rafting trip recommendations?

bump by request

Texas
Level Contributor
328 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Colorado river rafting trip recommendations?

Several years ago we took the 7 day trip from Lee's Ferry to Lake Mead, it was one of the most memorable times of our entire lives. Well worth the 7 days investment in both time and money. We went with White Water River Expeditions, I imagine they are all similarly professional and good, ours was excellent and the food was wonderful as well. As SWPa stated above, we also flew to Las Vegas and were picked up at our hotel and bussed to Lee's Ferry, then picked up at the end at Lake Mead and returned to our Hotel in LV. I strongly advise taking the time to float the entire 277 miles of the canyon, you will not regret it!

Page, Arizona
Level Contributor
20 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Colorado river rafting trip recommendations?

Barusso-

Just one other suggestion is the 3-day trip at the West end of the Canyon. Several companies, Arizona River Runners (www.raftarizona.com) and Western River Expeditions, run the 3-day trip from Las Vegas. On the Arizona River Runners 3-day you would meet the company representative in Las Vegas, fly over to the North side of the Canyon to Bar 10 Ranch. Spend the night there and heli into the Canyon the next morning for a day and a half of whitewater rafting and one night camping. At the end of the trip a jet boat meets you to take you to the take-out point and then you get on a charter bus back to Las Vegas. Western River runs a similar trip with both nights camping on the river. It is a good trip - but like someone else mentioned, it doesn't have as big of whitewater as either the Upper, Lower or Full Canyon trips. But like k-bot mentioned, unless you want to do the mule thing (which I would kind of stay away from) you can't do an Upper or Lower without hiking. You would want to go for the Full Canyon trips so you can either be taken out by jet boat or helicopter. I believe the shortest Full Canyon trips is the 6-day motor trip that Arizona River Runners offers.

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
747 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Colorado river rafting trip recommendations?

thank you so much Lwinter33. great suggestions. i think we're a go for a 6 day full canyon a week in june. have a hold on reservation and am working out logistics. the shorter might be good for some other family members. altready thinking ahead. :)

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
747 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Colorado river rafting trip recommendations?

Follow up - now we are reviewing arrangements to get from Las Vegas to Page where we have to meet up for orientation the night before the 6 day motor.

it looks like the only options are:

great lakes flight from LV to Page for about $85

and Bar 10 flight (if they have enough people) for about $242 for about a 6-7 hour van drive (stopping at marble ___ on the way) for about $100

given the discrepency in price, is Great Lakes reputable and safe as a small craft carrier?

should we be considering anything else?

thanks for your thoughts

San Diego...
Level Contributor
85 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Colorado river rafting trip recommendations?

Looking for using oars trip versus motorized in the GC for 8 days in July. I will check with the company recommended for dates. I know this question is subjective but I wonder if anyone out there has done the rowing of rafts in the Colorado?

-For a strong and fit 23 year old male with no rowing experience, how hard is this adventure?