We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lower Antelope Canyon

Which Page hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
38 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Lower Antelope Canyon

I've read a lot of reviews that say you can drive to the lower canyon. Do you need a jeep/SUV or can this be done in a rental car? Also, we were thinking of doing a preplanned photo tour (still struggling over which company given the mixed reviews they all have) at upper and then independently going to lower and getting our guide there so that we can have a more "private" experience. Is it a waste of time to go to lower if we've already done upper? This will be mid-August.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,129 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lower Antelope Canyon

You can drive up to Lower Antelope in any kind of car.The entrance is just off the highway.

The two canyons are different.Upper is flat and sandy and you walk into it. Lower is accessed via ladders from a small crack in the earth. If they are not busy, the guide may let you roam the canyon on your own after showing you around.That is not a guaranteed thing though.I happened to have the entire canyon to myself once, which was amazing.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lower Antelope Canyon

Have you read the "Top Questions" in the right-hand column about slot canyons? Also type "Lower Antelope" into the search box in this forum and you'll find some threads discussing Upper vs. Lower.

I think it is worth going to both if you don't mind spending the additional money. In fact, I think Lower would be more fun for your 10-year-old, since you descend into a crack in the earth, a little squeezing, ladder/step climbing, etc. It's more fun IMO than Upper. Both are absolute awesome!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,681 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lower Antelope Canyon

Not a waste of time or money to see both, since they are both completely different experiences. I was glad I was able to see both and highly recommend it if at all possible.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,822 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lower Antelope Canyon

I would do both if you have the time. I'd save my money though by taking a regular tour at Upper, rather than the more costly photo tour.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lower Antelope Canyon

We did the Lower Antelope Canyon tour last week. It was faboulous.

I would like to update folks on one detail we didn't know...

Upper Canyon is on the right side of the highway 98. One is driven in a 4-wheel/truck to the canyon and then brought back.

Lower Canyon tour starts very close to the place on the left side of the highway 98. You climb down layers of ladders and go deeper into the canyon. But at the end of the tour, you climb out one big set of ladders to the top and WALK BACK about 15 minutes slightly uphill in SAND. This felt really HOT in the july AFTERNOON sun(upper 90s). I think this took away some from the beauty of canyon tour especially as we were unprepared for walking in the sun.

Just something to keep in mind.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,129 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lower Antelope Canyon

It must depend on when you go to Lower Antelope. I entered and exited the canyon the same way, via the crack in the ground. The guide led me the length of the canyon to the regular exit, explaining things,then he took off and I could explore the canyon as long as I wanted.I was the only one in the canyon.It was great. But I imagine in the peak of summer they need to keep things moving, so its a one way hike thru the canyon.

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
38 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lower Antelope Canyon

Your feedback has all been great! We definitely plan to try to see both canyons, and we'll keep in mind the possible walk back after seeing the lower canyon. Trekker76, do you agree that it's possible to get to lower in a regular rental car, not 4WD?

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lower Antelope Canyon

Lower Canyon is about 300 yards from the main road (road 98). And only about 100 yards or so are on gravel. You do not need any special cars to get there.

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
38 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lower Antelope Canyon

Thanks again, trekker 76!

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
38 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lower Antelope Canyon

We have returned. We did a photo tour at the Upper Canyon and then independently toured Lower Canyon with a photographer's permit (you need an SLR and a tripod to get one and then you get two hours in the canyon at your pace). They were both fun. We learned a few things about photographing the canyons on our tour that we then put into practice on the Lower. We're glad we did both. The Upper Canyon was packed, even though our guide knew how to get us around many of the other visitors. But we still often encountered large groups who walked right in front of the camera. I felt like I was shooting more quickly than I preferred to get through the canyon. On the lower canyon, there were very few others and we could move at a much more leisurely pace. So much so that we almost ran out of time at the end! If you don't think you need advice on photographing the canyons (the best tip...keep the sky out of the pictures!), I'd probably vote for the photo pass on the lower if you could only do one.