We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do at Lake Powell

Which Page hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to do at Lake Powell

We plan to stop by Lake Powell for about half a day on our way to Bryce Canyon in August. Are there any sightseeing boat tours that go on the lake for a reasonable price? If we don't take a boat tour, can we drive around the area and still see part of the lake? What are the good reasonable hotels in Page?

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do at Lake Powell

There is no way to drive around the lake. It is basically like the Grand Canyon filled with water. At Wahweap Marina there are several tours. I am not sure of the costs since it has been several years since I have taken one. We go to the lake every year and camp by boat on the shores. I have stayed at Wahweap Hotel and Marina once and the hotel was nice. It is run by Aramark for the government. It is where you would go for the tours,and has all the amenities like a pool, full service restuarant and I believe a pizza joint. Iit would be very convenient for you. If you don't want to stay there you would have a small drive from Page. The highlight of course is the lake so any way to get on a tour is the way to go. Also there is the dam tour which is very interesting, I don't know since 9/11 if they are still giving them. also there is a tour that goes down the Colorado River from the dam to Lee's ferry. I highly recommend this tour also. Very scenic and pleasant. If you have not been to the Grand Canyon and won't be able to on this trip. This tour will be the closest you will get. Beautiful tall canyon walls. Saw some Golden Eagles and their nests. Alot of history as Lee's Ferry was the only crossing for hundreds of miles of the canyon. They take you back by bus from the ferry site. This site also is used as the starting point for alot of white water rafting outfitters on the Grand Canyon. Hope you are helped by this info. Lake Powell is the most beautiful place I can think of. Everyone should try to see this lake once in their lives. Very Special.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do at Lake Powell

If you drive into the entrance of Glen Canyon National Recreation Area (just north of the dam), you will be driving on Lakeshore Drive which will give you fabulous views of the lake. It is only a small portion of the lake, but if you've never been there you will think it is alot. Lake Powell actually has about 2,000 miles of shoreline! You will be in the Wahweap marina area which is where the Lake Powell Resort is. Stay there if you wish to stay on the lake. Or there are plenty of places to stay in the nearby town of Page, AZ. There are several listed at www.page-lakepowell.com.

There are several things you could do in a half day. Check out www.lakepowell.com for info about boat tours, etc.

1. Boat tour on the lake.

2. Float trip down the river (starts at the dam).

3. Visit Antelope Slot Canyon (on land).

4. Take a dam tour. Yes, they do give them since 9/11, but you just cannot take any purse or backpack or the like with you.

5. Take the walk out to Horseshoe Bend overlook.

I've done all the above. Too bad you can't fit them all in your schedule! I recommend them all, so just do whatever strikes your fancy (or meets your needs).

too far from the...
Level Contributor
324 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do at Lake Powell

Can you tell me exactly where the float trips start? Is there one outfitter that you recommend over others? Are reservations necessary?

Thank you in advance!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do at Lake Powell

SESZ,

I think Wilderness River Adventures might be the only company that does this float trip. Look at this webpage:

www.lakepowell.com/tours_float_trips.php

I took this float trip a few years ago and loved it. You meet them in the town of Page, AZ (right nearby Lake Powell) and they take you by bus through a tunnel built into the canyon wall (not open to the public) down to the water at the lower side of Glen Canyon Dam (the other side of the dam being the lake). So you literally start your trip at the bottom of the dam (well, I mean at water level :-) You float about 15 miles down river to Lee's Ferry (a historic river crossing). Then they bus you back to Page.

I highly recommend this float trip.

too far from the...
Level Contributor
324 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do at Lake Powell

Thanks Janss, we'll definitely check it out!

Do they stop for lunch or bathroom breaks? :)

Can you 'carry-on' your own beverages?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do at Lake Powell

They have half-day and full-day trips. I went on half-day. They stop for a bathroom break at a petroglyph site about half-way and then there are bathrooms at Lee's Ferry where you get off the raft (before you get on the bus). I think they give you lunch on the full-day trip. Don't remember about bringing your own beverages, but they won't let you dehydrate, I'm sure. Just call them to get more details. I think they have a toll-free number on the website.

Watford England
Level Contributor
96 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do at Lake Powell

We did the float trip last month and I can definately say it was a highlight of our Arizona trip. Our tour left at 1100 and returned to Page about 4.15 pm . They provide soft drinks, but not food. You might want to bring some snacks. You should make time to visit the Horseshoe Bend overlook just outside Page. Really spectacular. The guide will tell you where to find it.