We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Powell camping by power boat?

Level Contributor
806 posts
Save Topic
Lake Powell camping by power boat?

We have a trip to the Grand Canyon planned for June, 2009. We have 2-3 days after GC and would really like to spend a few days on Lake Powell. We'll be backpacking in the GC for 4 days prior so we're looking for something not too strenuous and the thought of being on the water sounds great.

My first thought was a houseboat but I can't justify the cost (we're only a family of 3.) So I'm thinking we can rent a small powerboat and camp along the lake. From what I understand, camping is allowed and free away from the developed marina areas. I'm wondering how easy it is to find good places to camp? Has anyone done this?

It is easy to get around Lake Powell on a small boat? Are there easily accessible shores where we can just pull the boat in and do a little hiking, set up camp, etc.?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,706 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Lake Powell camping by power boat?

If you can save that much $ and it makes the difference - go.

Michigan
2 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Lake Powell camping by power boat?

Sumi2007,

My family just returned from camping on Lake Powell for two weeks. We are also from Michigan. We camped at Lone Rock campground. You can't find too much online about Lone Rock but I have a number of pictures that I can send you or anyone else that would like to see them. Just e-mail me at wkunze@munder.com.

If you have any other questions, please just let me know.

Wendy

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Lake Powell camping by power boat?

Wendy, welcome to the forum. Better not put your e-mail address on the forums but use the PM (private message) option. Click on posters naam and hit "Send message". Good luck.

Tet

Jerome, AZ
Level Contributor
799 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Lake Powell camping by power boat?

you could also rent some inflatables, and have a grand time camping on the little resivoir called "Blue Ridge" , in Central AZ.

Boat access only camping, the thing is only a half a klick wide, and nestled in the pines.

RedRox knows a group that is renting inflatables for 45 bucks a day, and they are very stable.

http://sedonakayaking.com/

15. Re: Lake Powell camping by power boat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 pm, September 29, 2009