We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Power Boat rental advice

Which Page hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Topic
Power Boat rental advice

First thanks to all who post on this forum - I have been accumulating tons of information for a trip my family will be making this Spring. Quick info on us - husband, wife and two girls, 9 and 11, spending the first week in April in Flagstaff, Page, Grand Canyon, and Sedona.

One of the things we will be doing is spending a few days in Page, Az and we wish to rent a power boat for a day. I have been reviewing several baot rental sites and have been surprised about the difference in rates and amenities.

So could you please give me some advice and facts about the process. What questions should I ask when making the rental? How much in advance should I make the reservation? Is there a big difference in the size of the boat? I am hoping to make it on the smallest - 19'. Do we want to work with a marina where the boat is already in the water or rent from one where we tow and place the boat in the water? My husband has done some motor boating, but we do not own and are not experts. Do you have rental places you suggest? Please tell me your stories - good and bad.

Thanks for any help!!!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,073 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Power Boat rental advice

I can't speak from personal rental experience at Lake Powell. But if you're not regular boaters, I would keep it simple. Get a boat that's already in the water. Also bear in mind that it will probably still be cold in early April. It's not unusual to see an early spring snow storm at that time of year. So swimming from the boat will be uncomfortable at best. So the first question I would ask would be about weather.

Hopefully you'll get some other input here from folks who have actually rented there, and maybe even some who have done it in early April.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,206 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Power Boat rental advice

I owned a 19' power boat that I kept at Lake Powell for 10 years or so. I'm quite familiar with the lower half of the lake, but sold the boat about 2 years ago. I have never rented a boat there.

So here's what I suggest:

I totally agree with RedRox that you should rent a boat already on the water. With just a few days in Page, you don't need to be wasting time and energy dealing with towing and putting the boat into the water. A 19' boat will be fine unless you want a more luxurious ride.

The two places that I know of to rent boats (docked in the water) are Wahweap Marina (info at www.lakepowell.com) and Antelope Point Marina (info at www.antelopepointlakepowell.com). According to the rates on these websites, the daily rate for a 19' boat is only $20 difference. The important difference is the location (in my opinion). On the Antelope Point website, read the FAQs, specifically the one "What effect does the Castle Rock Cut being closed have?" This "Cut" refers to the shortcut that boaters used to be able to take to get uplake. But with the lower water levels of the past few years, this "Cut" is now land, not water. If you rent from Wahweap, you will have many more miles (and time and gas) to go uplake. The area of the lake you will miss boating by renting from Antelope you can actually see from driving on Lakeshore Drive that goes to Wahweap.

So I guess I would recommend renting from Antelope for location. I can't vouch for the service quality at either place since I've never rented, but I imagine they are both pretty good.

Re: Weather......I spent the whole month of April 2005 in the Wahweap RV Park. Some beautiful days, some very windy days, some stormy days. No snow and never several days in a row of rain. So we only boated on the nice days. I would suggest when renting, ask what their cancellation or change of date policy is. Also, the water will probably be a bit cold to swim in at that time of year.

Lastly, be prepared for your time on the water. If the rental company does not give you a map of the lake, buy one yourself at the marina store. Pay attention to it and to landmarks (named rocks, main channel markers, etc.) while boating. This lake can be quite confusing to navigate if you've never been on it because it is around 100 miles long with many many side canyons. Sometimes if you've explored a canyon, it can be a little difficult to find the main channel again.

Sorry my post is so long, but I hope it helps you. If you have any more questions, just ask.

You'll have a fantastic time on this trip!

Michigan
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Power Boat rental advice

Thanks so much for the quick advice! Especially the detail about the two marinas. I really wanted to sound somewhat informed when speaking with the boat rental people, and you have given me solid advice.

We realize we won't be swimming in the water - we are just hoping for the 72 average above water temperatures (although my youngest has been know to swim/play in Lake Michigan in March/April so you never know!) We are mainly hoping to soak up the beautiful scenery from a different perspective. We have watched the Travel Channel special on the Colorado River and we always drool over the Lake Powell segment.

Thanks again!

4. Re: Power Boat rental advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, September 16, 2009