We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving directions/help

SC
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
Driving directions/help

Coming from Las Vegas to Page, want to rent a boat half day on Lake Powell, staying overnight at the Holiday Inn Express then traveling on to South Rim to stay at the Maswik Lodge. When driving from Page to south rim is there a way to drive "through" the GC and stop at overlooks etc for views and if so how long of a drive is this. Mapquest will only show me 89 to 64. Since this will be our day to visit GC would like to see as much as possible.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving directions/help

Route 64 takes you through the east gate of the Grand Canyon National Park. From the gate to Grand Canyon Village is about 25 miles, along the rim. There are several view points along the way.

Your first stop, one that I think is the most awesome first view, is at Desert View.

Along the road to the village, also stop (at least) at Grandview Point, Lipan, and Mather Point.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Canyon Village
Grand Canyon Village
549 Reviews
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
SC
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving directions/help

So going 89 to 64 is a good way to go then? Is that the way you would suggest or is there any other way?

SC
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving directions/help

Sorry I forgot to ask about 89A and 67...what are these routes?

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,224 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving directions/help

I would suggest that you get a Rand McNally Atlas for US ($5 at Walmart).

Route 89A goes through northern Arizona between a point 24 miles south of Page on Hwy 89 called Bitter Springs and Kaibab Utah. It is the access to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and a scenic highway. Hwy 67 is the highway which goes from Jacob Lake on Hwy 89A to GCNP North Rim. Your reservation is at GCNP South Rim. By what route are you traveling from Las Vegas to Page? How much total time do you have? When is the trip?

The shortest drive from LV to Page would be I-15 to St. George Ut, and then north of St. George take UT 9 to Hurricane where you can take UT 59 to AZ 389, or stay on 9 past Zion Natl Park to 89 and then to Page.

You may want to consider visiting the North Rim of the Grand Canyon instead of the South Rim. It is just as scenic, much less crowded, but has a lot less in services.

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Utah
Utah
United States
Grand Canyon North Rim
Grand Canyon North Rim
1,902 Reviews
Grand Canyon South Rim
Grand Canyon South Rim
20,397 Reviews
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving directions/help

Hi

89A will lead to Jacob Lake and Fredonia. 67 will lead from Jacob Lake to Grand Canyon north rim. Along 89A are nice places like Navajo Bridge, Lees Ferry and Marble Canyon.

You can't drive through GCNP. The drive from north rim to south rim app will be 5 hours.

I owe you the locations for boatrental

1. Wah-weap marina: www.lakepowell.com (6 miles NW of Page

2. Antelope point marina: www.antelopepointlakepowell.com (6 miles east of Page)

Tet

Mentioned in this post
tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,224 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving directions/help

Renting a boat for a half-day isn't listed on the marina sites. I would suggest that you call them and ask about rates to avoid disappointment. Renting a powerboat is in the range of $200-400 and more.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving directions/help

Cinnamon01 is coming with his family of 4. Why would he be disappointed by that price? Going to a ballgame is the same price and a scenic flight over Grand Canyon by heli is more expensive for only half an hour with 4 people. I don't see the point Bobbear43. Some people like boats, some people like flights, some people like games. It's all a matter of personal preference.

Tet

Mentioned in this post
SC
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving directions/help

Thanks for all the info! Now regarding the drive from LV to Page..are there some spots that should not be missed? Is there a certain route that is better to take?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,894 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving directions/help

When you come into the GC from the east entrance, make sure you visit Desert View and also the Tusayan Ruin. This is one of my favorite parts of the park.

If you are driving from Las Vegas to Page, you will be driving past and hopefully through Zion National Park. Take some time to visit, if you have kids, maybe do some inner tubing in the river.

A boat rental at Lake Powell is on our list for next Spring Break! We were thinking of a day and a half overnight rental to do a little camping!! I wish we could afford a houseboat!

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,224 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving directions/help

I posted the information about the cost of a boat rental because I once was part of a family of 4 with young kids. I would have wanted to know about the cost of things that I aspired to do. I was recently at Canyon Lake east of Phoenix and was somewhat astounded that it cost $70/hour to rent a power boat to take a trip around the lake on one's own. BTW, one can attend a Diamonbacks game for $15 per person.

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ