We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips/tours from Page, AZ?

Marquette, Michigan
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Day trips/tours from Page, AZ?

My husband and I will be traveling to Page December 23-29th. My husband is not interested in doing a lot of driving/navigating. Are there any tour companies that do day trips with transportation to any of the nearby destinations like the Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, etc.? Also, any nearby ghost towns worth a visit?

thanks!

3 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,718 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips/tours from Page, AZ?

I’m curious why you chose to spend 6 days in Page in December. On its own, Page is not a tourist destination. The main attraction in Page is huge Lake Powell. But it will be too cold in December for water sports activities. The other attractions near Page, Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend, can be visited with an overnight in Page. I doubt you will find companies that will do tours to any of those destinations, They are all too far from Page for a day trip. Even if there were companies that did tours from Page, they probably don’t operate in December when there would be little or no demand. Even the boat tours operated out the the nearby marinas operate on a very limited basis in December. You will find yourself bored to death in Page after a couple of nights.

You should probably rethink your plan, Flagstaff or Sedona would both be better choices. Sedona would probably be the best of those two. I’m not certain, but you would probably be able to get a tour to the Grand Canyon out of Sedona. But there’s no way you could get me to stay in Page for six days at the end of December.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,063 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips/tours from Page, AZ?

Page is a long way from everywhere. The places you list are not ‘nearby’ in any sense of the word. So no tour companies either. All aquatic avtivities come to an end in December so the town of Page slows down a lot. Some businesses even shut down for 3 months. Like Connie, I’d question why you would consider visiting there for a week at that time of year.

Consider Sedona, Flagstaff or Springdale as alternatives. But the truth is, you need to overrule your husband. The best way to experience Zions or Bryce or the Grand Canyon National Park is to stay there overnight. That means moving around with 1-2 night stays. Days are short in late December, so a 3-4 hour commute (both ways) means no quality time at the destinations.

Go back to square one.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,632 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips/tours from Page, AZ?

There are not places in the area and places where you want to be that are bases for other places in the area, if that makes sense. If you want to go to GCNP, book lodging there or nearby, 2 nights is good. It can take 2 nights at Page to visit Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend, Glen Canyon Dam. Monument Valley could be a day trip from Page, but an overnight there is better.

If you want the best beauty for the least change in lodging, go to GCNP for 2 nights, and Sedona for 3 nights.

There are no ghost towns. The closest thing to that would be the old mining town of Jerome, now a tourist attraction and arts/crafts place, which could be a day trip from Sedona.

Keep in mind that days will be shortest at the time of your travel. It will also be quite cold in that region during the day and night.

For GCNP lodging:

grandcanyonlodges.com/ 5 in park lodges, Xanterra - 888-297-2757

visitgrandcanyon.com/ 1 in park lodge - Yavapai Lodge - 877-404-4611

Tusayan: hotels in the village just outside the park (use travel site or TA)

nps.gov/grca/ park website for park information

Park lodges book up to a year in advance. Sometimes cancellations happen in park lodging and don't appear quickly on the website. If no availability on the website, call often and ask about availability. The park no longer produces a newsletter. Information about programs, shuttles, overlooks, etc. can be found on the park website. GCNP South Rim is very self-touring.

Read Top Questions at right in GCNP forum (on a PC not a phone).

Reply to: Day trips/tours from Page, AZ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted