We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights in Page. Need help sorting out the activities.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
2 nights in Page. Need help sorting out the activities.

Hi guys,

my husband and I are doing a roadtrip through the Grand Canyon and we have 9 days in total. We will be flying in and out of Phoenix. Here is our itinerary for the 9 days:

Sept 2: Fly in to Phoenix in the morning. Pick up our rental and drive to Sedona. We won't have much time to spend this day so we will probably only go to Red Rock Crossing. We will spend the night in Sedona.

Sept 3: Leave Early Morning from Sedona before sunrise, and drive to the South Rim. All day in the South Rim doing some light hikes and spend the night in Grand Canyon Village.

Sept 4: Leave again before sunrise and Option A: Drive to Monument Valley, do the scenic loop and see the Forest Gump Point and drive back to Page Spend the rest of the evening and night in Page. Option B: Drive along the East Rim to Page and see Horseshoe Bend and do a lake powel boat tour.

Sept 5: Need help planning this day out. Not sure what to do in Page this day. We have our Lower Antelope Canyon booked for Sept 5th at 3:45 pm. The morning is not planned yet. Spend the night in Page again.

Sept 6: Leave early morning and drive to Bryce Canyon. Spend all day and night there.

Sept 7 & 8: Spend both these days hiking and sightseeing at Zion National Park.

Sept 9: Leave Zion and drive back to Sedona and spend the rest of the day there. Stay the night in Sedona. If we leave Zion by 6 am we should be in Sedona by 10-11am, I know we will gain back an hr coming into Arizona. Once we are here, I think we want to do an off-road Jeep tour, but I need your suggestions on that.

Sept 10: Will spend all day in Sedona again and probably do a hike to devil's bridge in the morning and late afternoon we will drive back to Phoenix.

Sept 11: Fly out to Toronto.

I am sorry if our itinerary is all over the place right now. I need help planning out Sept 4 & 5. Not sure how to properly distribute our days. I also want to know if doing a boat tour will be worth it or not and if so which one? If anyone has any suggestions for a Jeep tour for Sedona, that would be great as well.

Thank you all in advance!

10 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights in Page. Need help sorting out the activities.

Do not leave Sedona before sunrise. You will be missing the views up Oak Creek Canyon. Alternatively, depending on the times of your flight, there isn't a point on going to Sedona on Day 1 if you aren't going to have time to see anything and leaving in the early morning. It would make more sense if you have the time, to just continue to the Grand Canyon using the east entrance. You will like Sedona. I'm not saying don't go there just it isn't worth the detour off the highway if you can't see anything. It will take you longer to get out of Sky Harbor than you think it will. The rental cars all require the use of a shuttle.

Do not leave Grand Canyon before sunrise, that is the point of staying in the park. You will want to visit the viewpoints east of the Village to Desertview. I would choose Monument Valley BUT it really should be an overnight and you should have a guided tour booked before choosing this option.

You really don't need 2 nights in Page unless you are set on doing the boat tour.

You don't say where you are staying but I'm assuming you have reservations at the various places. If not, book ASAP starting with GCNP because it may effect where you end up going.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nights in Page. Need help sorting out the activities.

You are correct your itinerary is all over the place!

You can ignore my proposed itinerary below however, do not drive between these locations in Northern Arizona and Southern Utah at night. It is extremely dark, there are range free cattle and large mammals in the roads at night.

Here is a itinerary you could do it it reverse as well. You should fly into PHX and out LAS:

Arrive morning PHX and drive to Sedona (3 nights)

Grand Canyon National Park (1 night) - As you leave GC via Desert View Drive stop at Horseshoe Bend

Page (1 night) - Antelope Canyon

Monument Valley (1 night) - stay at the View Hotel

Bryce Canyon (1 night)

Zion (2 nights)

Drive and fly out LAS Airport

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nights in Page. Need help sorting out the activities.

In my post - use SOUTH entrance NOT east for Grand Canyon on Day 1.

Edited: 11:17 am, August 17, 2018
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,043 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nights in Page. Need help sorting out the activities.

Yup, you’re all over the place, and it appears that some priorities are out of line.

Don’t drive anywhere until you can easily distinguish all colors in the morning. And don’t drive anywhere when daylight dwindles in the evening. Add 30% to all of your drive time estimates. If you’re driving a rental vehicle do NOT plan to drive the loop road at Monument Valley. You’ll void your contract. Book a native guided tour.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 nights in Page. Need help sorting out the activities.

Okay, so we will wait till the sun is actually up to start driving in the morning. We don't plan on doing any driving after dark. Which part of the itinerary would you say is too much? We can skip Monument Valley this time so how else would you modify our plans?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 nights in Page. Need help sorting out the activities.

Look at Post #2 !!

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,222 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 nights in Page. Need help sorting out the activities.

Seeing as though you're already planning on spending some time in Sedona on the back end of your trip, I'd skip hitting it for just a quickie overnight on the front end, or take swimfan up on their suggestion to tweak your itinerary so you can give it the time it deserves.

If that's not possible, I'd recommend just spending that first night in Phoenix to decompress a little since it's ~a 4.5 hour flight from Toronto IIRC. Then head direct to GC the next morning. It's ~ a 4.5 hour drive from Phoenix if you drive direct, but even if you skip Sedona, you'll still be making a few photo stops, it's a really pretty drive.

In GC Village, take a walk along the easy, paved Rim Trail, or perhaps short hike down the Bright Angel Trail. Remember one hour down = 2 hours up. Water should be carried, as well as some snacks if you're spending more than 1-2 hours time total.

Going to Page, AZ via Monument Valley from GC isn't that great a plan. You're talking about a LOT of driving. It takes ~3 hours, wheels turning, to go from GC to MV, but it's more likely to pan out to 4-4.5 hours, maybe longer given the number of stops you'll invariably make along the East Rim/Desert View Drive, and in the Navajo Reservation. You're then facing a 2.5 hour drive from Monument Valley to Page. If you can't spend the night there, as swimfan suggests, then as much as I hate to say this, skip it. As beautiful as Monument Valley is, a "quality over quantity" approach will allow for a more comfortable experience for you. You're going to have a lot of long drives in this vacation as it is.

Horseshoe Bend is a total cluster during daylight hours. If you find the parking lot full at the time of your visit, you'll be asked by the on-site officer to return at a later time. If it's full then, you'll be asked to come back -- again. Either schedule that for first thing in the morning, or consider some alternate means of getting there, such as an hourly shuttle that Horseshoe Bend Tours is running out of Page, AZ between 8:00 AM-4:00 PM. They enter the overlook from the Southern side, which sits on Navajo land and abuts the National Park section. https:/…

It's good you have 2 days in Zion, you'll be glad you had that time. When heading back South, instead of going back through Page, swing by Jacob Lake (get cookies!) and Marble Canyon, maybe take a walk around Lees Ferry and the Lonely Dell Ranch. The drive to Sedona will be ~5.5-6 hours, provided you keep the back end of your trip as is. Regardless of where Sedona fits in your itinerary, you should at least give it 3 days to do it justice.

Just my random thoughts anyway ;)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 nights in Page. Need help sorting out the activities.

@K-Bot

Thank you so much!! This really helped to put things in perspective. I think we will skip Monument Valley this time. Reading all the comments, I think this is really throwing off our plan. The reason we booked Page for 2 nights was because one night in monument valley was the same as spending 2 nights in page money wise. So if we did one night in monument valley and then one night in Page, it would be out of our budget. I think we will focus more on doing some more hikes and sightseeing in Page and the surrounding areas.

Thanks everyone for all your input.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,222 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 nights in Page. Need help sorting out the activities.

Good call -- with that full day in Page, you might think about doing a water-based activity such as the Glen Canyon Half Day Float Trip or the Lake Powell//Rainbow Bridge Boat Tour. The latter will require a 2.5+ mile round-trip hike to Rainbow Bridge due to the low level of the water right now. The former is a 15-mile smooth water river trip from the base of Glen Canyon Dam to Lees Ferry, which includes a 1-mile (ish) walk to a really cool petroglyph panel. https://horseshoebend.com/48-hours-in-page/

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 nights in Page. Need help sorting out the activities.

I highly recommend the Glen canyon half day boat trip. we had a fantastic time doing that. Even when page is HOT 90s the river was in the upper 70s.. we really enjoyed it.

Reply to: 2 nights in Page. Need help sorting out the activities.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted