We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying vs driving from Orange County, California

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
229 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Flying vs driving from Orange County, California

I want to visit Page and I am looking for the fastest way to reach the city from Irvine, CA.

Driving from Irvine, CA to Page takes around 10 hours and that is the reason why I keep postponing the trip. I hope there is a better alternative way to reach the city.

13 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
682 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying vs driving from Orange County, California

We are breaking it up by staying overnight in Flagstaff. We are leaving this weekend.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying vs driving from Orange County, California

Fly Direct LAX to SGU 1 hr 20 minutes; Drive St George UT to Page AZ 2 hr 40 minutes "wheels turning" or stop to see the Toadstool Hoodoos on the way.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,637 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying vs driving from Orange County, California

Are you going anywhere after Page? Spending the $$$ on flying to either Flagstaff or St George, renting a car, driving to Page, then spending 1.5 hours on a 1/4 mile walk really makes no sense. Neither does driving there and back. You would also need to stay overnight at Page either way, 2 nights if you drive.

Antelope Canyon is beautiful but either the Upper or Lower area are small. The Grand Canyon is 3 hours from Page, which is a small town not a city in terms of size.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,111 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying vs driving from Orange County, California

You need to drive.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
229 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying vs driving from Orange County, California

I guess I will have to break it up by staying overnight in Las Vegas if I decide to drive from Irvine, CA to Page.

I have no plan to go anywhere after Page. I am open to any suggestion. I am planning to stay 2 nights in Page. This gives me 1 full day to explore Page. I have been to Grand Canyon in the past so it is not on my list in this trip.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,353 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying vs driving from Orange County, California

I suggest, remaining close to the computer & finding a fresh crop of responsive fools ... carracar

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,744 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying vs driving from Orange County, California

Page on it's own it's not a tourist destination. It would even exist if the Glen Canyon Dam hadn't be built on the Colorado River back in the 1960s. Outside of huge Lake Powell, the major attractions there are tours of the Antelope Canyon and hike to Horseshoe Bend. Those activities don't require two nights in Page. It's a 4.5 hour drive from Las Vegas to Page. Get up early and you can be in Page by mid day. Make a reservation for an Antelope Canyon tour that afternoon. Stay overnight and go to Horseshoe Bend the next morning.

You could then head back home with an overnight or two in Zion NP. At least that stop will make all driving you'd be doing worth it. You'll need advance hotel reservations at Zion (Springdale Utah).

I just have to join with others and say that this is a lot of driving for a 90 minute experience at Antelope Canyon and another hour at Horseshoe Bend.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
229 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying vs driving from Orange County, California

Thank you for your great suggestions. I made a change to my plan. I am still open to suggestions though.

1. Drive from Irvine, CA to Las Vegas Friday afternoon and stay overnight there.

2. Early Saturday morning, drive from Las Vegas to Page. Join Antelope Canyon tour afternoon and stay overnight in Page.

3. Early Sunday morning, hike to Horseshoe Bend, drive to Zion NP afternoon and stay overnight there.

4. Monday morning, drive from Zion NP to Las Vegas and stay overnight there.

5. Drive to Irvine on Tuesday morning.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,353 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying vs driving from Orange County, California

Much better ! carracar

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying vs driving from Orange County, California

I’m planning the same for my family of 3, 4-day trip in November, so this forum is useful to me. Thank you.

Day 1: drving to Page from Santa Ana, CA (~ 10 hrs: 2 drivers, we can take turn)

Day 2: tour Canyon X, Catheral Canyon (after reviewing how crowded the antelope canyons)

Day 3: Horsebend in am, 1/2 days floating raft (having only one 11am - 3:30 pm in Nov)

Day 4: driving home (~ 10 hrs)

I wish I have 1 more day in Zion NP to worth the drive (stay 1 night at St. George) but I dont have it.

All tours should be booked asap.

I think depending on how much our love to nature and how much we can afford to do something that we can make things possible. We’re no longer young and these avctivities are on my bucket list :-)

Edited: 1:56 pm, September 17, 2018
Reply to: Flying vs driving from Orange County, California
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted