We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time Zone Clarification Please

Barre, VT
Level Contributor
73 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Time Zone Clarification Please

Would someone please clarify the time zone changes between Kanab, Ut, Page, AZ and Antelope Canyon? We will be leaving Kanab and going to Page. We want to reserve a tour of Antelope Canyon and later do Horseshoe Bend, but I'm a little confused on the different time zones between all of these. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Page
Page
Arizona
Antelope Canyon
Antelope Canyon
6,784 Reviews
Page, AZ
Horseshoe Bend
Horseshoe Bend
11,651 Reviews
Page, AZ
8 replies to this topic
Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,209 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time Zone Clarification Please

The short version: Arizona never changes over to Daylight Saving Time (with the exception of the Navajo Indian Reservation [and there are some exceptions to that as well, more on that in a minute]). Page, Grand Canyon South Rim, Sedona, etc. are on Mountain Standard Time year-round.

The long version: if you're visiting the area when Daylight Saving Time is in effect, Kanab, UT will be observing it, but Page, AZ will not. Therefore, if it's 1:00 PM in Kanab, UT, it's 12:00 Noon in Page. You "gain" an hour upon crossing the border of Arizona. Now - Antelope Canyon (and many other slot canyons in the Page AZ area) is situated on the Navajo Indian Reservation, which DOES observe Daylight Saving Time, BUT because most of their customers are coming from Page, where DST is NOT observed, they typically operate on Mountain Standard Time. Most tour operators ask customers to check in 30 minutes prior to departure. The good news? If you're driving over from Kanab, UT and totally space the time difference (or are thoroughly confused and say "sod it"), worst case scenario, you'll arrive an hour early so you can maybe grab a snack, do a little shopping, etc. If you drive over from Las Vegas, they'll be on the same time as Page, so you're golden.

As for Horseshoe Bend, you don't have to visit with a commercial tour, the overlook is open 24 hours a day, so you can visit any time you wish.

Hope that hasn't confused things ;)

Edited: 11:53 am, September 20, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Grand Canyon South Rim
Grand Canyon South Rim
20,935 Reviews
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Page
Page
Arizona
Antelope Canyon
Antelope Canyon
6,784 Reviews
Page, AZ
Horseshoe Bend
Horseshoe Bend
11,651 Reviews
Page, AZ
Arizona
Level Contributor
736 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Time Zone Clarification Please

Wonderfully accurate post by K-Bot.

Bedford,U.K
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time Zone Clarification Please

Time zone questions with daylight saving equation thrown in is always the homework type of question that messes my mind.

I did read K-bots explaination, but my brain smells of rubber burning.

I always get in a kerfuffle and completely confuse myself.

Anyway, i think the answer is 4 o'clock.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,088 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time Zone Clarification Please

Short answer - If you will be traveling between now and the first Sunday in November, there will be a time change between Kanab and Page. When it's 9 AM in Kanab, it will be 8 AM in Page. For the convenience of tourists, Antelope Canyon tours are on the same time as Page.

Mentioned in this post
Antelope Canyon
Antelope Canyon
6,784 Reviews
Page, AZ
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,243 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time Zone Clarification Please

I have this tool bookmarked and still use it often for the area:

https:/…converter-classic.html

Barre, VT
Level Contributor
73 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time Zone Clarification Please

Thanks!

Edited: 9:30 am, September 21, 2017
Barre, VT
Level Contributor
73 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time Zone Clarification Please

Thanks for all the replies! You've been very helpful.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,447 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time Zone Clarification Please

Not to throw a wrench in the above explanations which are great, but if you are relying on a cellphone for your time be aware that it might make a difference which side of the border your cell tower is. This last weekend I had a phone and an tablet and they were both showing different times and I was in Utah. Didn't matter, apparently one had a signal from Utah and the other from AZ. And crossing into AZ didn't change the time on my phone either. This is one place where a regular watch works better for telling time.

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
Reply to: Time Zone Clarification Please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted