We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mitch..are you ok? Fires in Silver City

Which Silver City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,714 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Mitch..are you ok? Fires in Silver City

Just wanted to post information about the forest fires in and around Silver City NM where one of our Destination Experts lives. First of all I hope Mitch and family is ok! Next, there are fires burning in and around Silver City, so travel there in the next few days is not advised.

www.kob.com/article/stories/S2007573.shtml…

4 replies to this topic
Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mitch..are you ok? Fires in Silver City

We're OK-- thanks for asking!

Most of the fire activity was south of town and spread east. The Downtown area (where my store is located) is not in any danger and is a couple of miles from the action; our home is on the western edge of town and is likewise in the clear... subject to whatever random events that might start a new fire elsewhere in the area.

As I say to visitors: unlike say, California, we are relatively free of the potential for natural disasters: no earthquakes, no hurricanes, no tsunamis, no active volcanoes, rarely anything like a blizzard... but wildfires are a serious concern, along with the possibility of flash flooding (but first it has to rain a lot).

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,714 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mitch..are you ok? Fires in Silver City

Mitch I'm glad you are ok. Is the main part of Silver City ok to visit? If so then everyone go visit!!!

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mitch..are you ok? Fires in Silver City

The Downtown area is where most visitors go to experience Silver City, and it's just fine; I haven't even smelled any smoke. The natural features of interest such as the Gila Cliff Dwellings and City of Rocks State Park are well away from town. The only factor that might be a bit dicey is NM90, which runs from Lordsburg into Silver City; I gather that it is open, but if there is a problem, that's where it'll be. Access to the Silver Acres neighborhood at the south end of town is restricted, but hopefully residents will be allowed back soon.

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mitch..are you ok? Fires in Silver City

Really glad you are o.k. Don't know what we would do without your expert advice. Stay safe.

Reply to: Mitch..are you ok? Fires in Silver City
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted