We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silver City in a travel trailer

Which Silver City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mountains of Utah
3 posts
Save Topic
Silver City in a travel trailer

Have thought about visiting Silver City for the last few years. Travel with three dogs and looking for input on RV parks in the area. All look fine per websites. Would like to be able to step out the door of our trailer and take the dogs on a walk in the "woods" (or desert) as opposed to streets. Your ideas? And, do you have "jumping Cholla" in the area. Dogs definitely don't like that stuff. Probably looking at April of 2008. Is the desert blooming then? We spend most of our time hiking with the dogs and exploring the area. We are senior citizens, but still working, so this would be a vacation trip. Solitude and friendly folks high on our list.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,905 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Silver City in a travel trailer

Silver City isn't desert. It's something like 6000' in elevation, right at the edge of the Gila National Forest and gets a good amount of snow every winter. You'll see yuccas and prickly pear, but no real desert plants (including chollas). Even further south, toward Deming and Lordsburg, it's still grassland, although some may see it as desert.

Silver City is a great town though, and I strongly encourage you to visit.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,856 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Silver City in a travel trailer

FYI.. I live at 7000 ft here in Santa Fe and I have many cholla cactus on my lot! Not sure about Silver City, but here in Santa Fe they are not uncommon! our cholla bloom in June.

Mountains of Utah
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Silver City in a travel trailer

I understand about "high" desert country. I live at 7000' as well and they call our country high desert. Currently two feet of snow on the ground. Doubt too much snow sticks on the ground there, at least in Silver City itself.

We ran into jumping cholla west of Phoenix on one trip and spent half our time pulling needles out of our dogs....that's why the concern. Also, still interested in recommendation as to RV parks. Manzano's and Rose Valley both look good for our dogs. What would be your recommendation? Thanks.

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Silver City in a travel trailer

As far as RV parks go, there are two others that are worthy of consideration. The KOA in Silver is consistently rated as one of the best of in the chain; the owners are avid birdwatchers, hikers and bicyclists and are well-versed in the area.

The other possibility is City of Rocks State Park, midway between Silver and Deming ( 30 minute drive from either). While there are ten full hookup RV spaces out in the open, there are nearly 50 minimally-improved campsites scattered among the rocks that give the place its name: big boulders in a million different shapes, a sort of natural Stonehenge. You won't even see most of the campsites unless you go looking for them-- more privacy than you normally can expect in any trailer park.

shingle springs, ca
Level Contributor
75 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Silver City in a travel trailer

What would camping at City of Rocks State Park be like mid June?

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Silver City in a travel trailer

City of Rocks might be hot during the day in June. If you make sure to get a campsite with some shade, it should be quite comfortable. I think the full-hookup sites may have some 'carport' arrangements, but many of the sites without hookups have natural shade from the rocks and a few trees.

Atascadero...
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Silver City in a travel trailer

Tresdogs,

Having traveled full time throughout the SW and with our dogs, I can relate to your frustration and concerns about "jumping cholla" needles. We encountered them all over the deserts of SoCal, parts of AZ but not nearly as much in southern NM and never over about 3,500' in elevation.

The cholla we just saw two weeks ago in and around Silver City and at City of Rocks SP, are in the same cactus family like the ones on our property up here near Santa Fe, but not possessing anywhere near the number of needles like the ones I think you've encountered in AZ.

Cholla by name, but lacking the "jumping" characteristic we found the ones in far SoCal and southern AZ to have. Of course the jumping part is all urban legend but it sure seems like if you or a pet get anywhere within a couple of feet of them, the needles literally jump onto you.

Just for your enjoyment and educational consideration, try this website, as a desert rat I love it.

http://cactiguide.com/

8. Re: Silver City in a travel trailer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, September 20, 2009