We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Silver City, NM to Oklahoma City, OK

Which Silver City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Silver City, NM to Oklahoma City, OK

We have reservations at Bear Mountain Lodge in April and need to get to Oklahoma City. Planning one overnight stop. Would you suggest Tucumcari for an overnight stay? I read some reviews and it seems that we should chose Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express, both in Tucumcari. Is the distance from Silver City to Tucumcari with all those stops in between doable in one day? We prefer to arrive at the hotel before it gets dark.

I would appreciate any comments on places to stop, scenic spots for photography, hotels to stay in, decent restaurant to have an evening meal. All suggestions regarding logistics of this drive and any comments are greatly appreciated. We enjoy taking backcountry roads with stunning scenery over quick interstate highways.

We would leave from the lodge not later than 9 am (or earlier if we need to) and connect in Silver City with route 152 east and then I-25 north to exit 124 to take a drive through and maybe make a couple stops to see birds at Bosque del Apache NWR. Then get back to I-25 north and get off at exit 175, rote 60 east to Mountainair with a stop at the Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument.

Based on several posts I read here on this forum and looking at the map I think we should take route 55/337 from Mountainair north to Tijeras. From there we would go east on I-40 to Tucumcari. I checked Tijeras, Edgewood, Mariorty, Santa Rosa but it doesn't look like any of them offers lodging.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Driving from Silver City, NM to Oklahoma City, OK

I would appreciate any suggestions for lodging (1 night only) in Moriarty. Thanks

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Driving from Silver City, NM to Oklahoma City, OK

Reporting:

1. Took a twisty but beautiful route 152 from Silver City to I-12

2. Got off for a short visit in Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge. Use our spotting scope

3. Took route 60 to Abo Ruins Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument - wonderful visit on a windy day

4. Continue east on a very lonely route 60 via Mountainair, Vaughn where we connected with another lonely route, 54

5. Overnight stop in Santa Rosa - Holiday Inn Express. Highly recommend this motel. Spotless, many breakfast choices, big room with king bed, microwave and refrigerator, very nice staff. This hotel is very close to I-40 but really quiet, didn't hear anything at night. Another windy morning

6. Overnight stay at Palo Duro State Park, TX in Sorenson's Cabin on the rim. Fantastic views and a great simple cabin. Wish we stayed at least one more night. The canyon is beautiful with several hiking opportunities. Lots of bikers.

5. Red Rock Canyon, OK - stopped for a picnic lunch. Lots of birds and very green.

6. Stayed overnight in Norman, OK - Residence Inn, great place, would stay again any time.

Thank you all for your fantastic help.

Places

23. Re: Driving from Silver City, NM to Oklahoma City, OK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, September 28, 2009