We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary check - a day in Brooklyn around Xmas

Which Brooklyn hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
113 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary check - a day in Brooklyn around Xmas

Hello,

(I posted this on the NYC forum but I guess this one is more specific)

We will be in NYC for Christmas and we were thinking of having a day in Brooklyn, I came up with a draft itinerary but I'd love your suggestions. We are a couple 30s/early 40s, our interests are good food (no Italian, we get plenty of that at home), photography, architecture and a bit of shopping.

We were hoping to find a walking tour/food tour of Brooklyn but it seems none are available on the date we're planing to go (Dec. 23).

Here's what I have so far:

early breakfast @ Clinton Street Bakery (8.30 am) on the way to Brooklyn (suggestions for a similar place to have breakfast in Brooklyn accepted)

Subway (F) to 7th Ave Brooklyn, walk around the brownstones in Park Slope (what else can we see in that area?)

Then subway from Grand Army Plaza (2,3) to Clark St, quick walk through the Brooklyn Promenade (we've already been there), photography time in Dumbo, Brooklyn Bridge Park.

Ferry from there to East River State park

lunch @ La Superior / Blue Collar / Cantina Royal (other suggestions welcome - budget max. $40 pp. - anything american, mexican or asian)

Walk in the area (what can we see there besides Bedford Ave?), then subway (L) back to Manhattan.

We would like to be back in Manhattan by 5 pm.

Is it realistic? what are we missing? what should we miss? any Christmas events (markets, decorations, carols, etc.) going on in those areas? cool photography spots? not so expensive clothing or home decor shops?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,190 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary check - a day in Brooklyn around Xmas

The main walking street in Park Slope is 5th Avenue with many shops and restaurants. Or walk through Prospect Park to get to Grand Army Plaza. The Brooklyn Botanical Gardens and Museum are nearby as well. Not sure if they would be worth a visit though, depending on what else you're doing on your holiday. Might consider getting off the subway at Borough Hall and walking down Montague Street to the promenade. It will be a little longer, but there are some shops and restaurants to check out in Brooklyn Heights.

You'll have plenty of good photo ops at pier 1, Brooklyn Bridge Park and along the promenade.

Nice views of Manhattan from the Wythe Hotel's rooftop bar. I would walk away from Bedford up towards the bridge. The Williamsburg Bridge is obviously right there, although it may not be as photogenic as the Brooklyn Bridge and the views aren't as great on top. Walk a little further east and you'll see the neighborhoods changing each block. It's pretty dramatic how much that neighborhood has changed in the last 10 years. South of Broadway is still very steeped in Hasidism. Many of the shops signs are in Hebrew. Might be interesting to see and photo the changes every couple of blocks.

I think you should be fine timewise and if you're not back in Manhattan by 5:00, I don't think you'll turn into a pumpkin. Have fun.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary check - a day in Brooklyn around Xmas

I think you are spot-on. bedford Avenue is great, but you can also walk along Kent Avenue to see some warehouses and new construction (doesn't sound that exciting but it's a great contract for photographs).

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
113 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary check - a day in Brooklyn around Xmas

Thanks! this is all useful!

We'll try to visit all these places, we'll probably skip Brooklyn Heights and the Promenade since we've already been there and we would like to focus on places we haven't seen.

I'm interested in the area south of Broadway with the signs in Hebrew, can you give me some street names, shake801 ?

I'm really looking forward to taking lots of urban architecture shots in the different neighborhoods!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,190 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary check - a day in Brooklyn around Xmas

One old relic of Williamsburg that would make for good industrial, iconic photos is the Domino Sugar Factory Building. I think it's being converted to apartments right now. But it's right next to the bridge.

I'm not sure of the exact street names down in South Williamsburg. Maybe take Grand to Havenmeyer and walk all the way to Division and then down division back towards Bedford. You'll see the neighborhoods changes about five times. Just wander around to whatever catches your eye. You are getting further away from the L train but could take a bus back down Bedford or just take the J or M train back into Manhattan.

5. Re: Itinerary check - a day in Brooklyn around Xmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, October 27, 2014