We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

staying in Brooklyn

Which Brooklyn hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
staying in Brooklyn

I am planning a family trip to NYC in March, and am considering staying in Brooklyn. For our family of 2 adults and 2 10-year-olds, I am so far considering the Dekoven Suites (Newkirk Ave subway I think) and the Alma Victoria Guesthouse (near Clinton/Washington subway). I am somewhat familiar with Manhattan, as I have visited a couple of times, but don't know anything about Brooklyn. Are these neighbourhoods child-friendly/safe/relatively accessible to Manhattan? Do both have a variety of restaurants within walking distance? If there are other suggestions for places within a similar price point (200 per night), I would appreciate the input.

Thanks,

Susan

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: staying in Brooklyn

Understanding that you are on a budget, I would pick Dekoven. The Alma is not in a good neighborhood, especially at night. It's gentrifying but it's not there yet.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,119 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: staying in Brooklyn

Of those two, I would also go with Dekoven, but the neighborhood, while very family friends, isn't great for restaurants. I think you'd be able to find something in Manhattan or closer to Manhattan; if you repost on the New York City forum, the hotel experts will be glad to help you.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: staying in Brooklyn

Thanks for your replies. I really like the look of the Dekoven, but am now wondering about a 45 minute commute every day (my kids will love it - me, not so much). I found another one (Sofia Inn) that looks much closer to Manhattan and some of the things we would want to see in Brooklyn as well. It appears to be in Prospect Heights near the Grand Army Plaza. How is that for safety, etc? With a couple of 10-year-olds, I am assuming we will be in every night by 9 or 10.

Susan

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,077 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: staying in Brooklyn

Prospect Heights is a great area, and it is right across from Park Slope, another great neighborhood.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: staying in Brooklyn

Prospect Hts. is safe and very kid-friendly. You'll be right near the Brooklyn Museum, the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens (if it's not too cold), and the Brooklyn Public Library, which often has kids programs in its downstairs auditorium. On Vanderbilt Ave. (the main drag), you'll want to take them to Ample Hills Creamery (an ice cream shop created by a sic-fi writer w/ crazy flavors) and for hot donuts at 606 R&D. If they like sports, you'll be w/i walking distance of the Barclays Center, where the Brooklyn Nets play. And as previously mentioned, you'll be right near Park Slope, which is the most kid-friendly neighborhood on earth.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: staying in Brooklyn

Thanks everyone. Due to a scheduling snafu, we have to postpone the trip, but we'll take this all under consideration when we reschedule.

Susan

7. Re: staying in Brooklyn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 15, 2014