We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport & Opinion

Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Transport & Opinion

We are a family of 6 adults staying on Tompkins St, just off Fulton St in December this year for 2 weeks. We will be using this area as our base to see Manhatten and surrounding areas.

Just wondering what people think of this area? safety? ease of transport to Manhatten?

Also, we will be arriving at 12.30am at JFK. what would be the best/safest/cheapest way to get to our accommodation at that our?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,664 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport & Opinion

There is no Tompkins St. in Brooklyn. I assume you mean Tonpkins Avenue? And I assume you're renting an apartment?

First, be aware that most apartment rentals are illegal in New York City, and there are a lot of scams. As for the neighborhood, it isn't a place that I would stay.

If you do stay there, you can very cheaply get there by taking the AirTrain to Howard Beach and switching to a Manhattan bound A train to Nostrand Avenue. The AirTrain costs $5 each, an you can use your unlimited Metrocards for the subway. (I assume you'll be buying unlimited Metrocards.)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport & Opinion

That's not a good place for tourists to stay, especially walking after dark. Please try to find something else.

Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport & Opinion

Well, that sounds very depressing indeed. It's a bit hard to get out of the booking as we will lose half our payment. Also, it was very hard to find something that sleeps 6 over the christmas and new year period :(

what would you guys consider a safe neighborhood? do you know of any places available at this time?...any tips to keep safe, other than logic?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,664 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport & Opinion

You'll get more accommodation help if you repost in the New York City forum with your exact travel dates, number of people, number of beds needed, and budget per night in US dollars. Splitting into two hotel rooms in Long Island City may be your best bet.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport & Opinion

this neighborhood is pretty rough. liquor stores with bulletproof glass. fried chicken joints. won't be a very pleasant christmas in the big apple.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,664 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport & Opinion

What's wrong with fried chicken?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport & Opinion

Or liquor?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport & Opinion

You will lose half your payment when cancelling 8 months in advance? You should review your cancellation policy and see if your credit card can help you. In the future, you should consult the forums before booking something so we can help you.

There are plenty of options on AirBNB in good neighborhoods for 2-3 bedroom apartments under $200/night total for those dates.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,225 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport & Opinion

Nothing wrong with liquor but bullet proof glass sends a certain message.

i have no knowledge of the area but I do know that the regular posters here rarely make wide-sweeping negative comments about any n'hood. If multiple people are saying "look elsewhere" I would follow their advice. Do you really want to look over your shoulder all the time or spend extra $$ on 2 taxis (if you can find them in the area) to travel after dark?

Just my opinion but something you may want to think about. Good luck planning

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,567 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport & Opinion

The advise to rent a private apartment on AirBnB is worrisome. Many (almost all) of those listings are illegal as well and $200 a night for a 3 br apartment during Christmas is really not realistic. Do a forum search for AirBnB for more discussion and confirmation.

I'd recommend acknowledging that you may lose some money here (but still fighting to get it back), then starting from scratch with a new post. Include exact dates, target budget, and whether you can share beds (e.g. 6 people in 3 beds).