We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a 'Chelsea' area in Brooklyn

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
79 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a 'Chelsea' area in Brooklyn

Just visited Chelsea in Manhattan.

We would like to stay in Brooklyn next time,

--> is there a area which is like Chelsea in Manhattan?

-clean, lots of nice restaurants, good public transport

-no problems (feel save) at evening/night

Looking for one week in march:

-good hotel (clean, quite) or apartment

-nice restaurants

Any suggestions? streets?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,300 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a 'Chelsea' area in Brooklyn

Apartment rentals are illegal, so you're looking for hotels. You'll get more responses if you post in the New York City forum, but Downtown Brooklyn, Cobble Hill, Park Slope, and Williamsburg would all fit the bill for you.

For specific hotel help, post in the New York City forum. We cover all five boroughs there, including Brooklyn, and more of the Brooklyn experts post there.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a 'Chelsea' area in Brooklyn

The best bet for nightlife in Brooklyn is Williamsburg.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
3,415 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a 'Chelsea' area in Brooklyn

I have to add Bay Ridge to this list. The neighborhood is very safe and full of restaurants/bars/clubs etc, therefore great nightlife. Yes it is a longer ride into Manhattan but it is worth it. The R train is right on 4th Avenue and you take it to 36th Street where you can change to the D train right into Manhattan.

For a hotel there I would recommend the Best Western/Gregory Hotel. It is on 4th Avenue between 82nd and 83rd Streets. It is a very nice street with shopping and restaurants galore nearby. It is also close to the 69th Street pier with great views of the Statue of Liberty and NYC. You can stroll under the Verrazano bridge along the water (so peaceful) and check out the beautiful homes in nearby Dyker Heights.

Edited: 3:30 pm, September 27, 2011
Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a 'Chelsea' area in Brooklyn

I think Park Slope best matches what you describe.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a 'Chelsea' area in Brooklyn

I agree, Park Slope matches what you want, and there are good hotels along 4th Avenue.

If you post this in the main New York City forum, I think you'll get more responses.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a 'Chelsea' area in Brooklyn

Do NOT go to Bay Ridge. It's too far, and the Gregory charges an arm and a leg for a faraway location. Use TA's map tool to find similarly-priced accomodations closer to Manhattan ($150/night).

Bay Ridge has very little nightlife, nothing compared to Manhattan. The train ride at night is very long as you have to transfer to the R, which runs as a shuttle and very rarely after 11PM.

Italianprincess - Salty Dog is not an adequate place to send tourists.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
3,415 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a 'Chelsea' area in Brooklyn

Platna, there are PLENTY of other places in Bay Ridge to go to not just the Salty Dog and if you read the post I did not recommend the Salty Dog and would not as it is a place I do not go to. There are restaurants galore such as Embers, Greenhouse Cafe, Cebu Bistro, Pearl, Arirang, Hunters, Casa Pepe, Skinflints, Bally Bunion, Areo, Ponte Vecchio, Pipins Pub, Saint Germain, Chadwicks just to name a few, and there is shopping. There is a lot of nightlife there as well. Apparently you haven't been to Bay Ridge lately. I also did tell the OP that it was a long commute to Manhattan. I was giving them another option if they wanted it.

Just because it is somewhere you do not want to go to don't assume that others feel the way. I don't knock places others recommend because everyone is entitled to their opinion and I feel it is good to let the tourist/OP know all their options. I stick by my suggestion and if you don't agree that's fine, but keep it to yourself.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a 'Chelsea' area in Brooklyn

I know you didn't recommend Salty Dog, but it's the most popular bar in Bay Ridge... for the over-the-hill Staten Island self-described "guido" crowd.

Every neighborhood has places to go and restaurants to eat - that doesn't make them ideal for tourism.

Let's see...

Embers - now closed. I had dinner there once where a Soprano's-style patron told the waiter "bring it back hot or I'll cut off your pinky." Of course, he was joking. The food isn't good for the price, either. They don't compare to steakhouses in Manhattan, but are priced almost the same.

Greenhouse - a typical cafe found anywhere in the world.

Cebu - along with its twins across the street RJs and Trace. A younger Jersey Shore crowd, with fights breaking out every night I've been there. Wander into the bar at 1AM into a sea of thugs.

Hunter's - closed. The food isn't good, either.

Pearl/Arirang - good food but nothing interesting for a tourist.

Casa Pepe - closed, replaced by a casual family-friendly BBQ joint. Great place to hang out. Not.

Skinflints/Bally Bunion/Pippin's - Bay Ridge is knows as having the most bars per capita in NYC. The patrons of these bars are usually older. The bars smell, too and they're really boring.

Areo/Ponte Vecchio - the thugs at Cebu and Trace grow up and head to Areo.

Saint Germain - probably the 5th restaurant in that space in the last 12 years. There is never anyone there. Across the street is a pool hall filled with high school kids.

Chadwicks - the Bay Ridge staple. Have eaten here twice, the service is excellent but the food is not. No customers are under 50.

Are these places REALLY good for tourists' nightlife? Ask yourself. There's no real nightlife in Bay Ridge, that's why most of the young people who live there don't hang out locally. The Gregory is too expensive for where it is, the main drag shuts down at 9PM - and the shopping? Besides Century21 and a few boutiques for teenagers, what else is there? Well, 86th street does represent all the US cellular carriers on 1 block... perhaps if you need a cell phone it's a great place to go.

Sounds like you're the one needing a refresher visit.

The Gregory is $160/night + tax. A tourist can find better-located accomodations for a similar (if somewhat higher price, but they will spend more money taking cabs to Bay Ridge) and have a better overall experience.

9. Re: Looking for a 'Chelsea' area in Brooklyn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, October 24, 2012