We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me pick from these hotels in Brooklyn!

Which Brooklyn hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
37 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Help me pick from these hotels in Brooklyn!

So I have narrowed down my list of hotels ....Hotel Le Bleu, Hotel Le Jolie, Aloft and Holiday Inn Express Brooklyn. Which is the best? We are looking for a place very close to a subway station (we plan on going to Manhattan a lot), safe area to be out in at night and just overall cleanliness.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,406 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me pick from these hotels in Brooklyn!

Aloft, unless you particularly want to be in Williamsburg, in which case the Jolie. However, you'll get the most opinions if you post in the New York City forum. The vast majority of Brooklyn experts post there.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
32 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me pick from these hotels in Brooklyn!

I've been to Aloft last june. It is close to a subway stop, so connections to Manhattan are quite good. The place was very clean (it just opened in june 2011) and nice. The only minor downside was the location, not much to do in the direct neighborhood of the hotel. Can be a bit uncomfortable for some people at night, but we never had any problems there. Would stay there again without any doubts.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,406 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me pick from these hotels in Brooklyn!

What's uncomfortable about the area of the Aloft at night, travelmonk? It's true that you have to walk five or ten minutes to get to dozens of restaurants - you won't fall into a restaurant when you walk out the front of the hotel, but you're two blocks from the famous Junior's, and a single subway stop from either Manhattan or Brooklyn's hottest neighborhoods, depending on direction, so it's ideally located for basically anything you'd want to do, plus it's brand new.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me pick from these hotels in Brooklyn!

Aloft - I know that area well, and it's a 10-minute walk to Montague Street for the restaurants. I can also see how some people may be uncomfortable there at night. The area is deserted with shady characters hanging around. Having said that, Metrotech is pretty safe and the train connections are good.

Holiday Inn Exp - South Slope neighborhood, you are 1 block away from a lot of bars and amazing restaurants. Good subway connection, there is a train right there. A bit further from Manhattan than the Aloft, but a better neighborhood.

My choice would be the HIE.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,406 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me pick from these hotels in Brooklyn!

I disagree about there being shady characters, unless you think people who aren't white and rich are automatically shady. Some people do, unfortunately. (I know it well also - my mother lives there.)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me pick from these hotels in Brooklyn!

BB, please refrain from bringing up racial issues in every post where a commenter says a neighborhood is shady or not as safe. That area is not Brownsville but it's not Park Slope, either. Walking around the Fulton Mall area at night would not be fun for tourists.

7. Re: Help me pick from these hotels in Brooklyn!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, October 24, 2012