We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jfk to brooklyn

Tampa, Florida
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
jfk to brooklyn

traveling to nyc in april and flying to jfk. Possibly staying in brooklyn. What's the best way to get from the airport to the hotel? Traveling with 2 teenagers and we will have 1 carryon each for luggage. ALso, looking for somewhere to stay ledd than $120/night if possible. Any advice is helpfull. Thanks

The New York Sightseeing Pass
81 Reviews
from $99.00*
Special Offer
New York City All Around Town Hop-on...
1,942 Reviews
from $29.00*
$49.00
Special Offer
New York City Explorer Pass with...
450 Reviews
from $84.00*
$89.00
Special Offer
New York Pass with Fast Track...
498 Reviews
from $117.00*
$124.00
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,172 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: jfk to brooklyn

There is no way to give you directions from the airport to a hotel unless you know which hotel you're going to stay at. Brooklyn is a BIG place. Where in Brooklyn were you hoping to stay? Why Brooklyn? (That might help narrow down where in Brooklyn.)

It will be VERY hard to find a decent hotel for three people for under $120 a night. What are your exact dates, and do you need more than two beds total?

Also, you will llikely get more responses if you repost in the New York City forum.

Mentioned in this post
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: jfk to brooklyn

Sorry to hijack, but I'd like to know the same thing. However I'm head to Broadway & Bushwick...how much wld a cab run. Is it a safe bet to just take a yellow cab.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,904 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jfk to brooklyn

Broadway and Bushwick run parallel to each other, what's the cross-street? If you're alone, a cab may not be worth it as it'll be about $50. You can take the Airtrain to the A and transfer to the J or Z.

Having said that, it won't be a nice commute - you'll be travelling through East New York, which is not always a safe area for tourists. If you will be travelling after dark, you don't want to take the train in that part of town. If it's during the day, you should be fine.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,172 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: jfk to brooklyn

I'll disagree with Platna again about the subway - you won't have any issues. Just because there are Black people on the subway does not make it unsafe. I ride that line back and forth all the time, as do thousands of tourists every day, with no incidents.

I'm concerned about where you're going, though: first because you've given incorrect cross streets, but also because there are no decent hotels in the vicinity of those streets, and apartment rentals are illegal. What are your plans?

2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: jfk to brooklyn

Lol...no worries guys. Going to Cooper street to see mi abuela!!! I always drive to NYC. This will be my first time flying into NYC. I know nothing about Public Transportation. Yea East, NY can be rough but it's home to me.

I ended up getting a ride to and fro, because I can't justify the cost. My granny is not far from JFK.

Edited: 5:19 am, April 22, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,172 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: jfk to brooklyn

Glad you got there okay. Try the subway next time - it's fast, cheap and easy.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,904 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: jfk to brooklyn

BrooklynBrdge - I've also taken that line, and it is not advisable for tourists to do so at night. That doesn't mean there's a 100% chance they'll be killed, it just means that there's an increased chance of something happening because East New York is an area with very high crime relative to the rest of the city.

And while it's unlikely to be attacked on the subway, I would not suggest a first-timer (who's never been on the subway before) take the A at midnight, especially alone.

Edited: 1:15 am, April 26, 2011
New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: jfk to brooklyn

There is nothing dangerous about taking the A alone at midnight. The problem is walking to or from the station on the street upstairs -- but one runs into the same problem with walking to or from a taxicab on the street upstairs.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,172 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: jfk to brooklyn

There is almost no crime on the subway, and even less against tourists at any time of the day or night. That includes lines that run through East New York. And midnight isn't anything like late, especially on that subway line.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,904 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: jfk to brooklyn

Disagree on both counts. Taking the A late at night, alone, looking like a tourist is not a good idea - period. Don't make it sound like taking the 6.