We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to New York City In September 2009

sydney australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to New York City In September 2009

Hi, I am from Sydney Australia and I am travelling to New York City in mid September (17/9/09) with my partner and mother in law. I know there are a lot of posts on here but just wanted to get a perspective for me on a few questions.

We will be flying from Las Vegas to New York on 17/9/09 can anyone suggest a good airline and which airport to land at in NY.

We are undecided where to stay...It appears the Manhattan area can be expensive for obvious reasons but was thinking about Long Island City or Brooklyn. We love a walk so distance isnt a problem but evening travel it would be nice to be near transport.

As you may have already picked up this is our first trip to New York. So it is a little confusing :)

Our budget is about $200 max a night per room as we would be needing 2 rooms unless someone can suggest accommodation with 2 rooms at a reasonable price.

We are open to many suggestions but want to get it sorted sooner than later.

We will be in LA for 5 nights then Las Vegas for 3 nights then to New York area for 10 nights...

Thanking you all advance.....

:)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to New York City In September 2009

You should try posting this question on the New York City forum as well.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60763-i5-New_York…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to New York City In September 2009

Since it's your first visit, you should definitely stay in Manhattan. You can certainly find rates under $200. Go on Expedia, hotels.com, etc. They have rooms under your price range. Cross-check the hotels with the reviews here and book. There's no reason you should be staying in Brooklyn during the lowest NY hotel prices in the last 5 years. May I suggest the Comfort Inn Central Park West? I just did a search on Expedia for a random weekend in Sept and they have rooms for $150/night.

Good luck with your search.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to New York City In September 2009

Thanks Platna....Thanks for your feedback. we have booked a place through expedia.com.au in the Eastgate 222 E 39th Street we got a great deal for a two bedroom two bathroom...my mother in law is also travelling with us so its worked out brilliantly...just need to organise what to do over the 10 days...my main thing to do is go to see Boston and NY on 25 September at Yankee Stadium....booking tickets today but a little confused which website to book the tickets through...does anyone have suggestions for booking tickets through there seems to be so many....Thanks Oziboy

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to New York City In September 2009

You're welcome, and I like that choice. It has great reviews here and you'll like the location. You are in the Murray Hill neighborhood close to NYU Medical Center. It is a primarily residential neighborhood of young professionals. If you want to see them all party, try Brother Jimmy's on 31st & Lex. The 6 train will take you anywhere on the East side and you have a myriad of options to transfer to other trains since you are not far from Grand Central.

I'm not sure about Yankees tickets, but to get to Boston there are 3 ways: fly, rail or bus. Flying is not recommended with all the hassles you have to endure plus cab fare. Rail is pricey at $100+ per ticket. The bus is pretty good, you can find fares as low as $15 each way.

Google: Fung Wa bus; Mega Bus and Bolt bus in NYC. Any of those will serve your needs.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to New York City In September 2009

Oziboy,

The first thing I'd advise since this is your first visit to New York is to realize that the subway is the quickest, cheapest, and best way to get any where in the five boroughs. Rregarding airlines from Vegas, land in LaGuardia if possible. It is closer to Manhattan than JFK or LaGuardia.

Yankees vs Boston is usually a sell out. Good Luck.

You mention you like walks. NYC has some great ones. I'd suggest a walk over the Brookly Bridge and into Dumbo and Bklyn Heights. Also walk through Central Park. In Brooklyn visit Grand Army Plaza, Prospect Park, and the boardwalk and aquarium in Coney Island. Take a ride on the Staten Island Ferry. I can go on and on. You'll have a blast.

6. Re: Trip to New York City In September 2009

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 03, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Brooklyn