We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brooklyn neighborhoods

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Brooklyn neighborhoods

My son and I are off to look for an apartment for him to rent in Brooklyn. Can anyone give us advice as to which areas are safe? unsafe? Which areas would be particularly interesting to a new college grad? He would like to keep the rent to $1000. or less (is this possible?). Any suggestions would be welcomed.

He has searched Craigs list extensively. Does anyone have any other suggestions. He hopes to be working near Penn Station in Manhattan.

Brooklyn, NYC
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Brooklyn neighborhoods

It is so tough nowadays with the rents being as crazy as they are. $1000 or less is gonna be tough for anything other than a studio and even that is about as cheap as you are going to get.

My wife loves this map i will give you a link to (you may need to sign up for NY times online...it is free)

nytimes.com/packages/html/nyregion/20060428_…

It is a map and all of the homicides from 2003-2005 in all boroughs.

please don't let this map scare you. NYC is the safest big city in America. But if you see a cluster of homicides in one area it is probably a good indication not to go there. Please remember also in NYC a few blocks can change the temperment of areas drastically. I lived safely in Clinton Hill for years and loved it (we got priced out) and there are clusters of homicides clustered near there as well. So a few streets over can make all the difference. also the further he is willing to live from the city the cheaper his place will be. Just make sure a subway runs near there. Bay Ridge has pretty cheap rent conisdering some of the great restaraunts and architecture, but it is an hour minimum to midtown. The best areas i think are in Fort Greene and Clinton hill but they are just so expensive. In the end you may need to bite the bullet and pay for an apartment broker, they usually charge between 10-15% of the first years rent.

In the end living here is endlessly exciting with limiltess possibilities, that's why the rents are so high.

Good luck

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
70 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brooklyn neighborhoods

Hello Ethel,

I assume he is looking for a long-term (minimum of one year signed lease) rental rather than a sublet. I went to a college in which many graduates relocated to NYC upon completing their degrees. If your son wishes to pay ~$1000 per month in rent, and not have a share (a roommate), he is going to have to look in less trendy areas and if he is lucky, he may find a studio apartment.

Here are some very popular neighborhoods in bklyn for young college grads, which are all relatively safe, but expensive:

Park Slope

Prospect Heights

Windsor Terrace

Williamsburg

Cobble Hill

Clinton Hill/Fort Greene

Here is a map of bklyn neighborhoods, to put the area in perspective: nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/neighbor/neighl.shtml

You may wish, however, to look at Greenpoint, bklyn or Forest Hills or Astoria in Queens if he is set on finding his own apartment at a cheaper rate. These areas would be great for working in midtown.

Many students use craigslist as their proverbial bible for locating housing. Due to the tight housing market in NYC, however, you need to exhaust more resources. Use the NY TIMES website (and Sunday newspaper), Village Voice, Park Slope Food Co-op has a bulletin board with housing posts (if you are in the neighborhood, check it out on Union St.), etc. Also, you need to realize you’ll most likely need to pay a broker’s fee if you go through an agency, which will equal approximately one month’s rent. This is in addition to a security deposit, plus the first month of rent. Since it doesn’t appear he has secured full time employment, you can guarantee that a parent will need to co-sign the lease. If he isn't employed and does not have proof of income, this may be an issue with a number of property management companies. The housing market is truly pretty tough, so have all of your documentation prepared and ready, should you find an apartment you like - they go quick.

Does your son have any colleagues also moving to NYC? His housing options will be more fluid if two or more people can look for housing together.

Finally, he may wish to look for a share, or basically an established tenant who is looking for a roommate. Again, you can look at craigslist, Village Voice, NY TIMES, MetroRoommates (http://www.metroroommates.com) for such information.

Good luck with your search.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brooklyn neighborhoods

Thanks for the information. It is difficult to find a place from far away. We are not used to brokers in Chicago....here the landlord pays the fee (yes, it is probably hidden in the rent!).

I appreciate all the effort you went to in these postings.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brooklyn neighborhoods

This rent might be doable in Prospect Lefferts Gardens next to Prospect Park. There are more and more young people moving there because of the relatively cheap rent, proximity to the park and the quick commute into Manhattan on the Q train (perfect for Penn Station - I did that same commute for 7 years). I'd tell him to look for rentals on Ocean Avenue by the park. This area was once a bit rough but is changing rapidly and is a nice place to live. Info on this neighborhood can be had on www.acrossthepark.com and www.planetplg.com

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brooklyn neighborhoods

Ditmas Park area is coming up with tons of young newly graduated and young families moving in. We have been here more than 23 years and are in awe of the changes - There is a real estate group on Cortelyou Road that specializes in apt rentals and sales - I am unsure of the exact name - Hearthside, Hearthstone....anyway, this might be a good way to see the neighborhood and get in while it is still affordable.

brookyn, NY
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Brooklyn neighborhoods

also while the commute is further away, the area of Gravesend(and maybe Bensonhurst too), there are still apartments for under $1000.

While mine is more of a deal, I am paying 780 for a full 1 bedroom.

these areas are very nice, just deeper out

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brooklyn neighborhoods

Anything in south Brooklyn is safe and will be relatively cheap. He can find a studio for $1000 and under. In Bay Ridge/Bensonhurst/Dyker Heights it is possible to find a normal one near the train for $800. All the other neighborhoods are either too expensive, shady or depressing (like Ocean Parkway or Kings Hwy areas).

8. Re: Brooklyn neighborhoods

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, September 05, 2009