We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coney Island at night

Which Brooklyn hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
139 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Coney Island at night

I'm leaving for New York tomorrow and my mom's friend wants to take me to Coney Island at night. I looked it up on the internet and my dad also warned me it's quite dangerous and run-down...has anyone been there and is it safe?

MN
Level Contributor
226 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coney Island at night

I was there in Sept. and we went to Coney Island to Cha Cha's (bar right on the Boardwalk next to Nathan's) to see a band. It was safe where we were, but it was pretty dark and not too many people out on the rest of the Boardwalk.

Brooklyn, NYC
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Coney Island at night

I would be careful there at night. My wife and I are avid Brooklynites, but CI is a bit sketchy in the dark. I would still go there in the day though because it is going to be turned into Disney Land soon and you will no longer be able to see what is interesting about it.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
596 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coney Island at night

durign the summer it is jammed packed at night with much going on and lots of police all over making it very safe

but thats not til about end of may

you should go during the day..... ride the cyclone .....check out the old parachute ride(they put lights on it and its no logner in use)

theres also a brand new baseball stadium there ( brooklyn cyclones) there is a nice bar under the stadium (peggy oneils) also a good pizza place under the stadium (peter pizza)

about two blocks down from the baseball stadium is abe stark hockey rink

in the opposite direction of abe stark....about two blocks the other way of the baseball stadium there is an aquarium

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coney Island at night

I am originally from the Coney Island area and still go back frequently. There was as time, within a year, that I would have answered this posting differently. Coney Island at night is not a safe place to be. I walked that Boardwalk for 30 years at all hours of the night and never even thought about being unsafe. I was there recently with my teenager daughter after dinner, around 8:00 PM or so. The streets were dark, there was little to no tourist or police presence and there were roaving gangs of teenagers looking for trouble to get into. There was open drug dealing, loud, drunk, obnoxious people and beggers on Surf Avenue. There was no way anyone in their right mind would have turned off of Surf Avenue towards the Boardwalk unless you were looking for drugs or trouble. I hate to write this about my hometown and it breaks my heart that Coney Island finally earned its reputation as a slum.

5. Re: Coney Island at night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, August 31, 2009