We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Fairbank?

Which Fairbanks hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
heaven
Level Contributor
90 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in Fairbank?

I'm planning to take the Princess Cruise in July with the first 2 days in Fairbank. The River boat ride and Gold mine tour is included in the Princess Cruise package. For the remainder of the time, what activities, sightseeing, tours, resturants would your recommend?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,463 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Fairbank?

Hi there! I would go to the Museum at the University - it would be well worth your time. Creamer's Field is another nice spot - good walking area as well. What kind of food do you like?? I have several favorites in Fairbanks that I would be happy to mention. :)

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Fairbank?

I second the University's Museum of the North. You can take an Arctic Circle tour and either take a shuttle bus up and back or take a tour up to Prudoh Bay, ride up and fly back. Let us know some of your interests and we can come up with a better list.

heaven
Level Contributor
90 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Fairbank?

I enjoy nature and easy hiking, so both Creamer's Field and Artic Circle Tour sound good to me. I'll look into these 2 further. thanks. I don't want to miss my cruise, so any tour I take must be close by so I hope these 2 are right in Fairbank.

What about hot springs? Are they worth the try? Does one have to stay in the resort to use the hot springs?

For food, I like any kind of food except teenagers food i.e. burgers, sandwiches, fries etc.; any good restaurants - American, ethnic, causual is fine, but not Pubs. Is there such thing as Alaskan food?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,463 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Fairbank?

I think the best of Alaskan food would be the old roadhouse - that use to be the norm for most travelers, but not many left - at least around here! And of course, there is what is real Alaskan food - moose, caribou, salmon, halibut, but not sure if that is what you meant.

My favorites for Fairbanks - breakfast would be Cookie Jar or Pike's Landing for their Sunday brunch. Lunch & Dinner - lots more choices . . . Lemongrass (Thai), Gambardella's Pastabella (Italian), Chowderhouse (soup & sandwich) Dinner only: Geraldo's (pizza/Italian), Lavelle's (if you enjoy wine, this is the place for you), Turtle Club (prime rib is their specialty). Gallo's mexican just opened - haven't eaten their yet, but have tried their food in Anchorage, and it's very good. We also have a few chains, like Chili's, Boston's, etc. Happy eating! :)

heaven
Level Contributor
90 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in Fairbank?

moose and caribou !? I definitelyy want to try. Are they commonly available in restaurants? in any of the ones you recommended?

What type of food they offer in roadhouse? Any one you would recommend?

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in Fairbank?

The Arctic Circle trip would be an all day thing. Chena Hot Springs is 60 miles from town so it would take a good portion of the day. You don't have to stay there to go for a nice soak. It's $10. They have an indoor pool and an adults only outdoor pool.

There is the Alaska Public Lands Information Center downtown that is pretty cool to check out. The Visitors' Center is also downtown and next to a wonderful park with a monument to the First Families.

You can't buy wild meat but occasionally you will run into a resteraunt that has reindeer sausage. Reindeer is domesticated carribou.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in Fairbank?

Oh except for salmon. You can get that in most nice resteraunts.

You might also like to check out Pioneer Park (Alaska Land).

heaven
Level Contributor
90 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in Fairbank?

Eating reindeer - it will be a good tale to tell my young nephews and nieces. Hope I'll find a nice restaurant that offers reindeer sausage.

After some investigating, the ride to the Arctic Circle seems too boring and rough and the flight too expensive. The review about the Chena hot spring is not too encouraging either. For the hot spring experience, I'll save it for my future trip to Japan.

On my to-go list, I have Creamer’s Field, the University museum, the Alaska Public Land Center, plus the Princess Cruise’s river boat ride and the gold mine, I think I'll be very busy for the 2 days in Fairbank. Thanks coalminer and 1stimestar for the helpful info you provided.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do in Fairbank?

I love the Riverboat Discovery. I take all my visitors on it as I think it has a really nice overview of the Fairbanks area history. What you have planned should be plenty for the time you have to spend here. Keep in mind that in July we will be getting a lot of daylight so you are not confined to daytime hours for hiking and checking out the area.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,493 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do in Fairbank?

So I see one vote for the riverboat Discovery trip. What about the 'City of Gold' trip they have scheduled for my afternoon in Fairbanks?

Has anybody done it? Is it fun, or should we skip it and do something else?

Our trip is also in July on the front end of our Princess cruise.