We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

80% chance of seeing the NL?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
80% chance of seeing the NL?

My husband and I are planning a trip either in Late October or Late November (we're still deciding on what the best time is) to see the Northern Lights. While I was researching I noticed that the Fairbanks Visitors Bureau says that I have an 80% of seeing the lights if I were to stay 3 nights.

For those that live there, or have been, is this generally true? We have the option (budget-wise) of either doing 4 nights in Fairbanks or Whitehorse, Yukon. Which do you think is better for viewing the Northern lights, and which month do you feel has better chances (October or November)?

Your help would be very much appreciated!

SF
Level Contributor
27 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 80% chance of seeing the NL?

Just returned from Fairbanks and we were extremely lucky and saw shows four nights in a row. On one of the trips I asked what the difference between a solar maximum tear and a normal year.was and the guide explained that right now Fairbanks is on a streak of 45 nights straight with some aurora activity viewable. The record before this year in the solar cycle was ten consecutive days. So this demonstrates the difference the Solar cycle peak makes.

In other words the sooner you get up there the better!

New York
Level Contributor
3,266 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 80% chance of seeing the NL?

I like going in March due to have 12 hours of daylight, milder temps, and the Ice sculpting Championships.

I never go for less than 2 weeks, and never would only go for 3 or 4 days. You likely will not see any northern lights. I had one 2 week trip where I saw them only once. Another 2 week trip with 10 nights of aurora. Pure chance. I relied on the U of Fairbanks prediction web site.

13. Re: 80% chance of seeing the NL?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 07, 2015