We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santas house

India
Level Contributor
43 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Santas house

We will be in Fairbanks for 1 day with no car. Is it relatively easy to get to Santas house by public transport? Is it worth going also?

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,555 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santas house

Here is the link for the bus-Green Line: (No Sunday service)

www.co.fairbanks.ak.us/busroutes/default.aspx

I would rather spend the time at The Museum of the North, The Morris Thompson Visitor Center, Creamer's Field or Pioneer Park. The Santa House in North Pole is a gift shop and sometimes Santa is there. If you have children it might be worth it but I wouldn't spend a day on a bus to see it.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santas house

It is an interesting store, but I agree . . . to spend the better part of a day to see it is not worth the time/effort.

It's curious that you will only be in Fbanks for one day. What brings you to town . . . and what do you have planned to do there?

You didn't say "when" you were going, but if it were me, the suggestions made by Spacefry are excellent. I would also add Riverboat Discovery as a wonderful activity while there.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Santas house

How do the Museum of the North and the Morris Thompson compare ? Is there much overlap ? If you were going to pick one, which would it be ?

India
Level Contributor
43 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santas house

Thanks for all of your suggestions and advice. :)

We're only in Fairbanks as this is where our tour concludes. (Doing the Holland America Cruise + land component tour). Our travel agent booked us on a flight out at 8am the following day so only have a short time to see your lovely patch of paradise.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santas house

You may find it worthwhile to rent a car for the day and explore the area.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,433 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santas house

I agree about not going to North Pole for the Christmas store and also about renting a car. That will help you to maximize your time in the city.

>>How do the Museum of the North and the Morris Thompson compare ?

Very different. Museum of the North has great exhibits and displays (unlike a "normal" museum in many ways). The Morris Thompson center has films and info from Fairbanks and elsewhere. It is in some ways similar to the Public Lands Information Center in Anchorage. This summer the Museum of the North has a display about the 100 year anniversary of the first ascent of Mt. McKinley, so that should be interesting.

7. Re: Santas house

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 19, 2014