We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi service Fairbanks

New Zealand
Level Contributor
38 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
taxi service Fairbanks

We will be in Fairbanks late January, we will not have a vehicle, so will need to get around a few places. Are taxi expenesive in this area, and what taxi company would you recommend. For eg what would it cost to get a taxi out to Chena lodge.

Thanks for your help

Pueblo, Colorado
Level Contributor
179 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: taxi service Fairbanks

Hi Colin,

There should never be any problem getting a cab day or night in and around Fairbanks. Many people come into town from villages off the road network and must depend on cabs so there is a large fleet for a town that size. I do prefer to drive 4wd but I had to rent on 3 weekends in January and the US$14 a day for 2wd was more to my liking than the 4wd prices! 2wd is hard to get moving and lousy on packed snow on an incline like a driveway but other wise adequate.

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: taxi service Fairbanks

thank you very much for your reply. Wow, $12 a day is fantastic ? Where do you get this car rental from ? Does it include insurance ? When I did the search , 2 wheels are about $48 a day before insurance and any charges.

Pueblo, Colorado
Level Contributor
179 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: taxi service Fairbanks

Colin,

The $13.49 was a weekend special Hertz was running in January. I received email notice because I joined their club(free). It was also listed on their website, all the companies have similar sale listings.

The first week of March has 2wd from $32 a day. The insurance is what's killing you, the CDW offered by the rental companies is one of life's biggest ripoffs! Check to see if your personal auto policy may cover you, many do internationally. Also when look at insuring your trip(you are doing that, right?), you can get policies that cover rental cars on your trip. To add the rental coverage on my 30 day African trip cost only US$10 TOTAL additional premium. It would have been over $1000 through the rental companies.

ALSO many credit cards offer rental car protection when used to rent, check with your card providers.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
256 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: taxi service Fairbanks

Colin, id suggest you rent a car. First fai is a typical American town, you can get anywhere without wheels. Second taxis in fai are expensive. You can get a cheap rental in fai for under $40 a day. You'll spend way more than that on taxis everyday--assuming you're not planning to sit at the BnB all day. (trip to town, trips around town, trip home, trip to and from dinner, etc.)

You do not need 4wd if you are driving around fai and the immediate area.

You'll be fine driving around. Just take your time, you'll soon get the hang of it. Allow lots of room and time to stop and go. Unless you've driven on the "right" side of the road before that will be you toughest learning curve. I'd suggest getting the gps nav, as that will help you concentrate on your driving rather than figuring out where to turn and watching for street signs. If you have your own gps nav look into buying the NA maps, might be cheaper than renting. Or look at buying a cheap NA system, depending on your length of stay also maybe cheaper than renting---then you can sell it on eBay and get 50% back.

15. Re: taxi service Fairbanks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 19, 2014