We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

moving to Fairbanks?

Which Fairbanks hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix
1 post
Save Topic
moving to Fairbanks?

I have been considering moving to Fairbanks from Arizona of all places! I have never been to Alaska and am looking for something a little different. I am from the midwest originally, so I have experienced cold snowy winters, but I am sure not quite as cold as Fairbanks. Anyone who can offer any advice about Fairbanks or a move to Alaska in general would be greatly appreciated. I have looked at many websites, but an "insider's" view would be great.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,558 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: moving to Fairbanks?

Hello there! Well, Fairbanks would sure be different than Phoenix! I don't live in Fairbanks, but it's where we come for shopping, drs/dentists, etc. so here are my thoughts. Yes, winters can be bitterly cold, but Fairbanks also has some of the best summers in the state. What I like best about Fairbanks compared to some of the other cities around Alaska: it still has very much of a small town feel, and the University creates a very positive attitude that permeates the community as well. You don't get that same feel in Anchorage. Not sure what type of job industry you are looking at - I think if I could move anywhere in the state, I would probably pick Seward or somewhere else on the Kenai Peninsula - it's very beautiful down there, but I am also getting a bit tired of interior winters. I really enjoy Fairbanks -but not sure what else you are looking at. The other thing is Alaskans in general - in fact, I think some of this was recently discussed in the Anchorage forum by someone relocating there - you might search that. Anyhow, Alaskan's have to be some of the most real, down to earth people I have ever known . . . that makes it a very positive place to live in, no matter what the community. Good luck! :)

Seattle
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: moving to Fairbanks?

We just came back from Fairbanks for a trip. I am from a big city, Seattle. It's hard to not compare it with Seattle. In early April, I would say Fairbanks is pretty quite and sometimes almost seems like it's dying, which means there is not much to do in the winter. This is not to say I hate it, I actully love the trip, but it was just that besides all the tour attractive, the city was very very small and quite(we know all the major road in a ouple of days)

I am not sure about summer though, it could be busier because of the tourst.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: moving to Fairbanks?

I live in Fairbanks and love it. I came from the southern states though had spent many winters in the northern ones as well. While it might not compare to Seattle for things to do, it's far from a boring place. Winter is the time that Alaskans play! Summer is for tourists, working, and preparing for winter lol. There are tons of things to do here in the winter. What do you think you would like to do? Skiing, snowshoeing, hiking, mushing, sightseeing, doing things with friends, etc.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: moving to Fairbanks?

Oh, but I would add...April is our worst month to come visit, by far. Spring break up is occuring making it a slushy mess. We have our daylight back but our biological clocks haven't caught up to our light requirments yet lol.