We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fairbanks in March 2013

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Fairbanks in March 2013

I have a couple questions. Just booked our flights--arriving FAI at 1:30 in the morning (thanks to AA ff tix). Will we be able to pick up a rental car at that hour? Second question--is it possible to rent winter gear (coats, snow pants, boots) once you get to Fairbanks? We are coming from Austin, TX--not a lot of call for winter garb here and I need to outfit a family of 4 for the 4 days we will be there. Thanks!

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,606 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Fairbanks in March 2013

The roads are generally in pretty good condition. In Fairbanks area there is usually less ice and more just packed snow, just drive slow maintain adequate space and be aware of the weather. Anchorage can be icy and you should approach intersections with care. I was in Anchorage for the last 10 days (Jan 7-17) and they had rain and warm wind that caused school closing and virtually unpassable roads and then by the end of the week they got a good dump of snow. The best advice is to be prepared and go slow.

Rockhampton
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Fairbanks in March 2013

Thank you very much.

Rockhampton
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Fairbanks in March 2013

Is there any companies in Fairbanks that supply studded or snow tyres? Do we need them? Or just go with a 4wd? Just we have no experience in driving in ice....or cooler climates. Thanks

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Fairbanks in March 2013

My past experience of driving in AK in the winter (four years, all in March) is that nothing special is necessary . . . not even 4WD.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,283 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Fairbanks in March 2013

We rented an AWD in Fairbanks on our December trip last year, to drive to Denali and Chena Hot Springs. We did not really need the AWD and I don't think I ever engaged it. FYI, we also rented a 4WD to drive from Anchorage to Seward on that same trip, and did use the 4WD. That's mainly because Seward is more temperate and the streets get icy due to overnight freeze/thaw cycles. In Fairbanks you should not have that problem since it will be cold all the time. :-)

-Jim

Rockhampton
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Fairbanks in March 2013

Thank you once again!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,896 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Fairbanks in March 2013

Generally, 4wd do nothing for icy driving and awd is on all the time. Newer vehicles with automatic anti skid is often the best thing, since it stops you from going into a slide. Winter or studs are best for icy roads - and while most of Fairbanks has good roads, the intersections can be very icy at times.

18. Re: Fairbanks in March 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 31, 2014