We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car-Fairbanks to Seattle

Citrus Heights, CA
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car-Fairbanks to Seattle

Looking for a rental car from Fairbanks to Seattle next summer (June 2013). Is anyone aware of rental agencies that offer one-way rentals? Mid size preferred, but we would even consider a small RV van if needed. I know its too early to get prices for 2013, but I was hoping to get a ballpark figure for budgeting reasons.

Thanks for the help.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
19,375 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car-Fairbanks to Seattle

I honestly do not think that you will find a hire like that possible, or if it might be, the one-way drop-off fee would be astronomical.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,808 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car-Fairbanks to Seattle

I don't think you will find any rental company that will do that. Your best hope is, if you are going late in the season, to contact Avis or Hertz in Anchorage and see if they have any special deals to get cars to the lower 48. Keep an eye on that for this coming season. I think in early September they let people drive one-way to Seattle with little or no drop charge, picking up in Anchorage. Otherwise it is not possible.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
12,363 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car-Fairbanks to Seattle

The previous 2 posters are right. We (regular AK posters) are always keeping aan eye out for such a one-way rental and have not seen any yet.

I can think of 2 options:

(1) put a notice on a University bulletin board for someone that might be heading "out"

(2) as fti said, contact one of the major car rental companies up here & see if they need a car moved to the lower 48 (this wouldn't usually even be likely until the end of the summer rental season). You'll want to contact a local representative and the job title of the person in the rental company responsible for this type of a "transaction" used to be the Operations Manager (15 years ago!).

Good luck,

Scott

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car-Fairbanks to Seattle

It would be a little risky, but maybe buy a good used car off of Craigslist? Then you can sell it in Seattle. I'll bet that would wind up cheaper than the rental.

My parents were coming up two summers ago for two weeks. Dad has back issues and getting in and out of my extended cab truck wasn't going to work. We looked a renting a car for the week but it's expensive. So we watched Craigslist and got a really decent Dodge Caravan for $1,800. We cleaned it up, drove it while they were here and then turned around and re-sold it on Craigslist for $2,300.

But, obviously we had the advantage of being here and having time to look...

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Citrus Heights, CA
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car-Fairbanks to Seattle

Thanks everyone. I think I found a place that rents class B motorhome vans that might work out ok for us.

I appreciate everyones input.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
19,375 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Car-Fairbanks to Seattle

Hhhmmm. Would you care to post the name of the company? There is a mob, going under some different names, that have a very bad reputation for ripping people off on such rentals in Alaska, although they are not based in Alaska, or indeed in America.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,196 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Car-Fairbanks to Seattle

Frommy, I believe the outfit is Canada Motor Homes (http://www.canadamotorhomes.com). Do a forum search on TA and you will find several posts about them.

-JimG

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
19,375 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental Car-Fairbanks to Seattle

Jim,

I knew that. I just asked the OP to identify the mob found for the rental as these people have been known to change their names.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental Car-Fairbanks to Seattle

If that is the company, here is a nice thread about their business practices:

http://tinyurl.com/7sgsjxg

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
12,363 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental Car-Fairbanks to Seattle

There are some good RV companies out there (even those that "old reliables" that advertise ridiculous sales)....

... and there are those scams that we all try and protect our fellow readers (travel planners) from (Jim, you've "nailed it").

There are 3 or 4 (maybe 5) good/reliable RV places to rent from in ANC.

(1) Try and make sure the company you are renting from actually exists (i.e has a physical location - try Google Map & Google Earth)

(2) web search for reviews, ratings, comments, etc.

(3) use a credit card and keep a copy of contracts, documentation, etc.

(4) enjoy your AK vacation!!!!!

Be smart,

Scott