We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far is Arctic Circle to Fairbanks

Dallas, TX
3 posts
Save Topic
How far is Arctic Circle to Fairbanks

Hello

We are planning our trip to Alaska around July 4th. We are flying from Dallas to Anchorage then on to Fairbanks.

I have a couple of questions to start with, and hope someone here could answer for us in this forum.

1. How far is "Arctic Circle" from Fairbanks (in terms of driving time during summer)? Can we do such a trip in half/one day ( I am just looking at visiting the point where the latitude is 66 degrees!

2. About the Eldorado Gold Mine... how far is it from Fairbanks? Is that also a half a day or a full one day trip?

Thanks a lot in advance for any advice.

Anchorage, AK
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How far is Arctic Circle to Fairbanks

The trip to the Arctic Circle is feasible in one day, but it will be a long day, fortunately you have the benefit of 24 hours of daylight. When i did it, i left at 7am and returned at 10pm and i only spent about half hour at the circle and 1 hour eating at the only real spot to get gas and eat which is at the Yukon River. I hope you realize that 80% of the trip is on a dirt/gravel road and you have to deal with a fairly constant flow of 18 wheelers. Have you looked into one of those day tours out of fairbanks that take you on a small tour bus with a guide so you don't beat your vehicle to death and chip your windshield. Don't get me wrong if you are aware of the bad side, it is a very interesting and beautiful trip. I was surprised that at the campground/picnic ground at the AC, there were actually a fairly large grove of cottonwoods.

The Eldorado Mine is only a short drive out of Fairbanks and this is a half day trip.

Dallas, TX
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How far is Arctic Circle to Fairbanks

Thank you very much for the quick answer. Reading through the Dept of Transportation page, I felt the road could be like how you are describing. Thanks a lot.

North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
11 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far is Arctic Circle to Fairbanks

The El Dorado Gold mine is only a 10-20 minute drive out of Fairbanks. Not far to drive, but too far to walk.

The Arctic Circle is not that many miles north, but it takes a long time to get there, because of the condition of the road. This is a primitive road! Rocks, gravel, giant pits (I mean potholes!) are along every inch of the road. Bring a spare tire, food and water. Most folks up here have cracked windshields for a reason. Rental car companies usually have good advice about driving north, and to be aware there could be some repairs needed to the vehicle. Also, bring some bug dope. When you stop on the side of the road to get a picture, you will be bombarded by mosquitoes.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How far is Arctic Circle to Fairbanks

Some car rental places will not let you drive their cars up there so take that into consideration when renting.

Miami
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How far is Arctic Circle to Fairbanks

Hi,

My mom and I went ot Alaska summer 2004 and began our adventures by going to the Arctic Circle. I made arrangements with the North Alaska Tour Company. you do not want to drive there yourself. you are on the Dalton Hwy and it's all gravel for most of the way. the NATC was SO worth the money about $125 p/p. Included was a wonderful lunch at the yukon River Camp, snacks along the way and an amazing commentary all the way there and back. We stopped at the pipeline and got a brief history of that, stopped at Joy general store for neat stuff, dug for permafrost and had the environment described in detail. It was a wonderful tour...began at 6:30AM and back near 11:30PM. Small tour bus with about 25 seats, large windows, you could sit in the passenger seat next to the driver and get a really great view of the highway! Most car rental agencies will not let you drive there. If you do you are on your own for repairs. The few private cars I saw on the road, had 3-4 spare tires on the roof. Many shattered windshields which are expensive to replace. i planned our whole trip, two weeks. If you need more info, please feel free to drop a line and ask anything. I researched for months. We drove 2200 miles North to South and everywhere inbetween!!!!! It was a trip of a lifetime.

Fairbanks, Alaska
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How far is Arctic Circle to Fairbanks

Greetings from Fairbanks, Alaska!

You might want to consider flying to the Arctic Circle...

Here is some information on one of our Arctic Circle tours.

This is a 4 to 5 hour tour.

If you would like some beautiful pictures of the Arctic or additional info. just let me know.

Have a great trip!

Sincerely,

Mike Caskey, owner

www.AlaskaFlyingTours.com

888-326-4424

Arctic Circle tour

Visit a remote Eskimo or Indian village and drop in for a piece of pie and coffee at a rustic lodge. Walk on the amazing arctic tundra. Visit the ranger station and learn about the flora and fauna of the Brooks Range, located in the Gates of the Arctic National Park. Upon your return, you will receive your personalized certificate showing you have successfully crossed the Arctic Circle with Alaska Flying Tours! Our plane is intercom equipped so you can chat with Mike during your flight and ask him questions along the way. Mike has been a pilot for over 30 years and has worked in the aviation industry almost his entire adult life. He loves to fly and share his knowledge of the area with you. It's a great adventure!

Arctic Circle/Bettles Village........$750.00 for three passengers

www.AlaskaFlyingTours.com

Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How far is Arctic Circle to Fairbanks

It is a very rough ride up to the artic circle. We took a 3 day van tour from Fairbanks to the Artic Ocean. THe price included both nights hotels and it was one of the best experience we have had traveling. I would strongly suggest the one day, artic circle tour versus driving it yourself.

segerd
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How far is Arctic Circle to Fairbanks

Take a flight so that you can really enjoy it!

Roy, Washington
Level Contributor
24 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How far is Arctic Circle to Fairbanks

Buy the Great Alaskan Tour Saver. You can purchase a ticket to fly from Fairbanks to the Arctic Circle, go shopping at the little village, and they'll drive you back down to Fairbanks. It's a day trip and only costs $269/person. With the saver book, you'll pay that for one person and get the next person free!! My husband and I are planning to do it this summer!

Also, there are other folks who bought the coupon book that didn't use all their coupons and want to sell the book. It costs $99.95, but their selling for half that for unused coupons. Make sure you get the book with coupons attached, otherwise they're void.

Roy, Washington
Level Contributor
24 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How far is Arctic Circle to Fairbanks

Buy the Great Alaskan Tour Saver. You can purchase a ticket to fly from Fairbanks to the Arctic Circle, go shopping at the little village, and they'll drive you back down to Fairbanks. It's a day trip and only costs $269/person. With the saver book, you'll pay that for one person and get the next person free!! My husband and I are planning to do it this summer!

Also, there are other folks who bought the coupon book that didn't use all their coupons and want to sell the book. It costs $99.95, but their selling for half that for unused coupons. Make sure you get the book with coupons attached, otherwise they're void.